Sunday, August 17, 2014

Personal Prayer Journal (Aug.17.2014a)




Personal Prayer Journal (Aug.17.2014a)

2014-08-17 07:33:17, Sunday, BJ

MORNING PRAYER
Good morning, Lord. I am tired and cranky after not getting much sleep. (Ugh.) Have mercy on me, God, and help me get through this day. Also, far more importantly, help B's back to feel better and Zack's dementia to calm. Help both to rest.

Now that I asked demands of You (I hang my head down in shame. Whoops.), I want to just be with You. 

What's a good verse for worship? Hmm... Besides all of them... I want to use it to draw me to You and Your presence, not the yucky I'm feeling. I realize the focus verse I'm about to me.tion might be it. But, let me look at the verse of the day. 

Well... I just looked at the verse for the day and it didn't bring me to worship. Is it my foul mood? Probably. So, now what? I went to my email to search for inspiration. 

Hah! I went to me email and found how I forgot I signed up for several new devotionals to be sent to me each day.

Then, it hit me, why don't I do several types of Bible readings each day? Yeah. That sounds like a really good idea. So, I went to a different Bible app and website to look for several different reading plans. I hit the jackpot, hallelujah! (I rarely use that word, but it sure applies here. Along with, Glory! Thank You, God.)


It's an app I can get on my phone and tablet and can go to the website with my pc. Therefore, it saves all of my highlights, notes, and reading plans and even emails me my reading plans each day. 

MY BIBLE READING PLANS ON YOUVERSION.COM
The plans I'm starting today are: 
1 Psalms in 31 Days
2 New Testament Epistles and Acts in 85 days
3 M'Cheyne One Year Bible Reading Plan

I will read them in that order, by the way.

How better to spend my day? And how better to search for God and His work and glory so I can count me blessings all day and night long than by being in the Word of God. Reading the Bible, contemplating it, thinking on it, and praying on it is important for me to do all day long, along with praying, rejoicing, and giving You thanks. 

Huh. I feel less grumpy already, thank You Lord.

Really quick. Here's something I found last night as I lied in bed and tried to unwind from my day:

FOCUS VERSE OF THE DAY
I want to make this my focus verse for at least the next year, while 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 are my focus verses for the next forty or more.

1 Samuel 12:24 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

24 Above all, fear the Lord and worship Him faithfully with all your heart; consider the great things He has done for you.(A)

Cross references:

  1. 12:24 : Dt 10:21; Ps 103:2-14
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.

2014-08-17 08:44:49

Psalm 1:2-3 The Message (MSG)

2-3 Instead you thrill to God’s Word,
    you chew on Scripture day and night.
You’re a tree replanted in Eden,
    bearing fresh fruit every month,
Never dropping a leaf,
    always in blossom.
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

Lord, help me to chew on and ponder and pray Your Word, the Bible, night and day. 

Psalm 4:6-8 The Message (MSG)

6-7 Why is everyone hungry for more? “More, more,” they say.
“More, more.”
I have God’s more-than-enough,
More joy in one ordinary day
7-8 Than they get in all their shopping sprees.
At day’s end I’m ready for sound sleep,
For you, God, have put my life back together.
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

I have more than enough. For, God, You are more than enough. 

Psalm 4:6-8 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

Many are saying, “Who can show us anything good?”
Look on us with favor, Lord.
You have put more joy in my heart
than they have when their grain and new wine abound.
I will both lie down and sleep in peace,
for You alone, Lord, make me live in safety.

You put joy in my heart and it's an abundant joy.

Psalm 4:6-8 Expanded Bible (EXB)

Many people ask,
    “Who will ·give us [L make us see] anything good?”
    Lord, ·be kind to us [L let the light of your face shine on us; Num. 6:24–26].
But you have ·made me very happy [L given joy to my heart],
    happier than they are,
    even with all their grain and new wine.
I ·go to bed [L lie down] and sleep in peace,
    because, Lord, only you ·keep me safe [make me secure].
Expanded Bible (EXB)
The Expanded Bible, Copyright © 2011 Thomas Nelson Inc. All rights reserved.

 Amen and amen.

Psalm 5:7-8 The Message (MSG)

7-8 And here I am, your invited guest—
    it’s incredible!
I enter your house; here I am,
    prostrate in your inner sanctum,
Waiting for directions
    to get me safely through enemy lines.
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

Show me the Way to go this day, Lord. 

(Image credit: Stacy Duplease and Remembering Your Present, LLC. August 2014. Lake Drummond and the Great Dismal Swamp.)

No comments:

Post a Comment