Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A New Day and a New Month: Living a Life of Thanksgiving and Gratitude

Nov/18/2015: I just realized I never published this on my blog. Sorry it is out of order.
///
I regret, as I sit here in my study, at 7:52 a.m. on the first day of October 2015, that I did not say first thing: "Lord, thank You for this day--an opportunity to remember Kara and count the blessings of her. Thank You for the opportunity to live a better day today because of her and I want to live well for her." As silly as it might sound, I want her to be proud of what my life becomes as I live life anew for her memory and to make sure not one day of her life with us over the last year not to be in vain.
It's interesting. I cannot believe that I am thinking along those lines now. Never mind writing it (journaling it) and sharing these thoughts out loud and with others.
However, the more I think about it... Why is it silly to live a life of blessing, where I can count a trillion because of her alone? Why is it odd to be extra attentive to count my blessings of her and because of her? Shouldn't we all have something or someone in our lives that blesses us so much that we cannot help but live a life of thanksgiving and gratitude... a life of blessing?
It does not matter who or what brings this life transformation. What matters is that it does. Living a life of gratitude and giving thanks... a life of blessing... Isn't this how we are supposed to live and why? And, what better life could we live?
And, all of this comes from a cat.
From our Kara Beara. Little Bit. Lady Kara. Baby Girl. Girlie.
All of this comes from "just a cat."
I roll my eyes. Whoever says that she was "just a cat" has no idea what they are talking about. Anyone who has owned a critter, and has invested everything possible in that companion, knows good and well Kara was not "just a cat." Only a fool would ever claim she, or any of them, are.
Kara was a companion. A loyal companion and friend at that.
Furthermore, Kara loved for the first time in her life--and she was loved.
Our cancer kitty was the biggest love bug and I could tell how much she appreciated everything we did for her. The lifelong feral cat became a loving and loved family member and she knew it. She knew how good she had it. She lived a life of thanks, where she basked in her love for us and our love for her. Her mannerisms showed this.
She was happy.
Content.
Grateful.
Kara remembered the life she had in the wild and realized how good her life was.
Isn't this the way we are supposed to live? Isn't this how we are to live a life of faith?
Kara lived a blessed life and she counted them. My husband and I will try to do the same because of her.
It's truly a blessed life we live.
This month... this year... this decade... this life... I will be purposeful about living a life of blessing because of her.
This morning I woke up and failed to give thanks for her and this new day where I can remember our Little Dove. I regret that. I will try to not do the same tomorrow. But, I realize I may mess up and fail to do so again. Therefore, once I remember, which I pray is in the morning that day, I will make sure to remember her and count as many blessings as possible. I will live that day with thanksgiving and gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment