Friday, January 3, 2014

Day 2 of 40



Day 2 of 40:


02 January 2014, Thursday, 1140 a.m.

An Opening Prayer


Lord, guide me. Today is your day. You have a purpose for me this day. After all, today is Your day, not mine. Help me to live it as such. I want to live Your will and not mine. God Almighty, help me not to get too far ahead of You or too far behind. Guide my steps and help me stay on Your path alone.
Also, help me not to get distracted and focus on You and on You alone.

Psalm 90:12 NOG


Today’s http://BibleGateway.com Verse of the Day is: Psalm 90:12 NOG
12 Teach us to number each of our days
so that we may grow in wisdom.
-- NOG: Scripture is taken from NAMES OF GOD BIBLE (WITHOUT NOTES) ®, © 1995 God’s Word to the Nations. Used by permission of Baker Publishing Group.

Wow. What a wonderful verse for the start of a new year, a new prayer journal, and a new Devotional Bible Study series.
Lord, teach me to number my days and each of my moments. Show me how to do this. I do not want to take one moment for granted. I know I do, but I really do not want to do so. I want to live for You and Your will alone, so I can bring You glory. Help me to think of this often and throughout the day and night.

My M’Cheyne One Year Reading Plan for the Day:

Genesis 7, Matthew 7, Ezra 7, Acts 7


Genesis 7:


Verse 1 talks about how when everything was prepared and ready, then God spoke. Verse 1 in some versions starts with the word, “THEN.”
When does God speak? When we do everything He says, and when everything is ready. Then, He speaks. He speaks when the time is right and best. He does not speak until then.
How many times do I expect God to speak to me now—and not wait? How many times do I want my timing, after all, I know the best timing, right? Hah! Wrong. But, I catch myself trying to get God to move along to my pace. Then, it hits me what I am doing, eventually, and I realize, how wrong I am. God’s timing is always best. Always. Without fail.
More on Genesis 7:1: God tells Noah how He has observed how only Noah is righteous on earth and in this generation. Noah was in right standing with God. He was upright.
Lord, how many times have I said to my husband, “Is there one, besides the very few we know, who are Christ-followers?” I wondered this regarding Christians and unbelievers both. Too many times. The presidential elections of 2012 really hit me in the stomach like a fist. I’m still reeling from it and it’s been over a year. It let me know how few of Christians are truly informed and are in the Bible. I firmly believe this nation would be radically different if we did (I’m looking in the mirror).
How many Christ-followers are really here on earth?
And, then, I remember… WHO AM I to judge? It’s, frankly, none of my business. Their spiritual lives are their choice, not mine.
But, then, I remember how not everyone has had the same advantages as me. Not everyone realizes they have the time to be in the Word and in prayer all day long, for they weren’t taught how to do so. Moreover, not everyone has read the Bible all the way through as many times as I have. Nor has everyone studied the Word like I have. So, what does this mean?
God’s given me the spiritual gift to teach. Hence, that’s what I will do, rather than judge or question. I will love people instead. I will walk with them instead as well.
Moreover, most importantly, I will look in the mirror first and foremost. Period. I have a lot to learn. A lot, a lot, a lot.
Lord, am I acting like Noah in Genesis 7:1? Am I following the Bible? Am I living in the middle of Your will God, and not mine? And, am I doing so 24/7/365?
Answer: Hardly.
How many times do I get distracted and sidetracked and jump, not just step, off Your path, Lord? This is truly my thorn.

Break


My hubby came home early, so we went out to eat and then ran to Target. Now, I’m back home and will continue with my Bible reading of Genesis 7.

Genesis 7, Part 2


How many each of the animals did Noah take on the ark? Hah. That’s a trick question. Most people answer this one incorrectly., after all. The answer is found in Genesis 7:2-3. Seven pairs of every clean animal.
Verse 5 is another verse I want to live by:

Genesis 7:5 NLT


5 So Noah did everything as the Lord commanded him.
-- NLT: Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Lord, I want to do everything You command me to do—without hesitation and without questioning. Teach me how to do so and help me to be mindful thereof.

Matthew 7


The entire chapter is a good one. I could stop and spend several days contemplating and focusing on those verses. All of it is applicable to life.

Ezra 7


Ezra 7:6 talks about how Ezra knew the Law of Moses well. He was well-versed, skilled, and an expert in it. For a Christian, the Law of Moses refers to the entire Bible, as well as Genesis through Deuteronomy.
Lord, may that be said of me one day. I hope to be well-verses, skilled, and an expert in Your Word—and will spend my lifetime trying to achieve this goal. Verse 10 is another one I want to apply as well and goes right along with Ezra 7:6, along with Ezra 7:11.

Acts 7


Acts 7:1-50 is a nice summary of the Old Testament.
In Acts 7:51-60, Stephen is stoned for speaking truth.

Reading Through Psalms and Proverbs in a Month



Psalm 7, 37, 67, 127. Proverbs 7. 

No comments:

Post a Comment