Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Personal Journal September 03, 2014, 840 a.m.

2014-09-03 08:40:41, Wednesday

I woke up with the news that the White House confirmed the murder of American journalist, Mr. Sotloff, from the execution video yesterday. 

Pause. Silence. I'm speechless--even in my brain. (Or at least temporarily.)

The question is: Why am I speechless? 

Oh, boy, do I know that answer. Why do people become speechless? This happens when something so shocking happens, they don't know what to think, say, or do. So, they kind of freeze for a moment. This is what happens, and is precisely what is happening in my mind and spirit right now. The question is why am I so shocked? 

I'm struggling to grasp everything. I'm struggling with a proper response.

What the terrorists did is absolutely appalling. It goes beyond my ethical and moral code. They are savages. If anyone doesn't have their beliefs, they torture and murder. Execute. It is their goal to eradicate anyone who does not agree with them. Torture. Murder. Execute. Make suffer. Make a public display. 

Age doesn't matter to them. They've beheaded children who were Christian and didn't believe in the way the terrorists wanted them to believe or live. The terrorist savages have chased people out of their homes, cities, and towns who didn't believe what they believed. They tortured and executed people in the process--hoping to scare the rest to leave. Those people ran for their lives and ran to a place without food, clothing, or shelter. 

Our government did not respond. 

Then, these terrorists beheaded American journalist Mr. Foley.

Our government did not respond.

Then, the terrorists beheaded American journalist Mr. Sotloff

Will our government respond? And, if they do, will it be the proper response? 

This is my outrage and why I am so speechless this morning. We had enough of a reason to execute war against these terrorists for years now. ISIS has been years in the making. We've done nothing to stop them. In fact, we've backed nations and groups who support ISIS. 

Then, what happened to the Christians in Iraq--with children being beheaded--and our government did nothing to respond. Then, the journalists... 

What should our response have been and what should it be? 

Is war really the answer?

As a Christian, is war justified? Can war ever be justified? 

Does God ever say war is justified?

How long have Islamic terrorists been around? What can be done about them, if anything? 

My answer is this: We should lay waste to them. If those in the Old Testament, in the Book of 1 Samuel and Joshua, had laid waste and killed all the men, women, and children of the Canaanites (the people of Ishmael, let me add), as God commanded, we would not be dealing with this problem today. 

Should I write a book about this? A Bible study or a book of fiction... That talks about the outrage of what's going on in the world today and how Christians should properly respond to these things? Should I talk about how the Church is supposed to be the beacon of light in this situation--where we stand up for those who are being tortured and executed by terrorists for not believing the beliefs of the terrorists? I don't care if they are Christian, purple, or walk upside down, Christians should take a stand against terrorism and walk alongside their brothers and sisters in a worldwide war against terrorism.

But, the church is silent. Just like our government.

And, how can I talk about all of this and not sound like a war-monger and nutjob of a Christian?

These are my thoughts today.

Am I emotional? You bet I am. Am I also thinking logically? You bet I am. I know what the Bible says and know that we are to take a stand against terrorism. Period. 

I think the problem about most of us in this country, and in this world, is we haven't thought. We haven't thought things through. Not in the slightest. We parrot what others say, who could be wrong, rather than form our own relfetive, educated, and logical stance. We have buried our heads in the sand becausewe want to keep the peace, be politically correct, are too busy, and would rather take the easy road. Plus, we live in denial. Moreover, we really do not understand the Bible or what it says about these things, because we haven't read and studied the Bible in its totality--if we've read it at all. And, if we have read the bible, how long has it been since we read it through cover to cover? 

Are these ramblings of a fool? 

No. What I'm saying, I've thought through for the last thirteen years--each and every day. I've also studied the Bible. Everything I'm saying is biblical.

As Christians, we cannot be silent. It's wrong--and is sin--not to. We have to take a stand. Innocent people, including children, are dying because we have failed to do so. 

Why should it matter if the persecuted are American or Christian? We should have taken a stand against terrorism years ago. Shouldn't we take a stand because that's what we are? 

So, how are you today--now that a second American has been executed? Are you going to keep silent? Or, will you speak out about this and energize people to take a civilized stand to speak out and ask our govenment to respond? (Questions I ask of myself as I look in the mirror.)

I'm turning to the Bible in a new way, a fresh one, to see what it really has to say about this issue--and not what I want it to say. I know the answers--firmly now, but it never hurts to go back and make sure what you think is correct. We may forget something in what we've read and studied, or understood it wrongly. Stay tuned. I will have a logical and intelligent Bible study where I think things through and see what the Word of God truly says about terrorism and what the correct and proper biblical response is, and should be, in this situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment