Saturday, August 16, 2014

Prayer Journal (08.16.2014a.)


Prayer Journal (08.16.2014a.)

2014-08-16 08:42:36, Saturday

Thank You, Lord, for Romans 15:14-33, my morning New Testament Reading. 

BIBLEGATEWAY.COM VERSE OF THE DAY

2 Corinthians 7:1 The Message (MSG)

With promises like this to pull us on, dear friends, let’s make a clean break with everything that defiles or distracts us, both within and without. Let’s make our entire lives fit and holy temples for the worship of God.
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

Wow. Wonder of wonders. 

We need to get rid of everything in our lives that isn't of God or the Word. More of Him, less of everything else. He is the priority. We are to seek Him first and above all (Matthew 6:33). 

2 Corinthians 7:1 Expanded Bible (EXB)

[L Therefore] ·Dear friends [Beloved], we have these promises from God, so we should make ourselves pure—free from ·anything that makes body or soul unclean [L every defilement of flesh and spirit]. ·We should try to become holy in the way we live [or …and in this way bring our holiness to completion/perfection], ·because we respect [out of reverence for; in the fear of] God.
Expanded Bible (EXB)
The Expanded Bible, Copyright © 2011 Thomas Nelson Inc. All rights reserved.

Look at this link of parallel verses:

I need to purify my life and get rid of the impurities, through God's help. Anything or anyone that doesn't lead me to Him, I need to give their rightful priority in my life, toward the middle to bottom of my list of priorities. The things and people that lead me toward God need to be at the top of my priority list. 

More of Him is what I shall strive for and seek. 

2 Corinthians 7:1 GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

Since we have these promises, dear friends, we need to cleanse ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit and live a holy life in the fear of God.
GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
Copyright © 1995 by God's Word to the Nations. Used by permission of Baker Publishing Group

 Why cleanse and purge my life of all that isn't of Him, through His help, and properly prioritize the things and people in my life? So, I can revere God and fear Him (in the positive sense of the word). 

Psalm 51:12 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

12 Restore the joy of Your salvation to me,
and give me a willing spirit.(A)

Cross references:

  1. 51:12 : Ps 13:5

That's a cross-reference of 2 Corinthians 7:1. If I get rid of the stuff in my life, or at least put lower on my priority list, I am more apt to have a willing spirit.

Psalm 147:11 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

11 The Lord values those who fear Him,
those who put their hope in His faithful love.(A)

Cross references:

  1. 147:11 : Ps 33:18; 149:4

Amen.

Psalm 147:11 The Message (MSG)

7-11 Sing to God a thanksgiving hymn,n
    play music on your instruments to God,
Who fills the sky with clouds,
    preparing rain for the earth,
Then turning the mountains green with grass,
    feeding both cattle and crows.
He’s not impressed with horsepower;
    the size of our muscles means little to him.
Those who fear God get God’s attention;
    they can depend on his strength.
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

Wow, once again.

I will try to read this journal repeatedly throughout my day.

(Image credit: Stacy Duplease and Remembering Your Present, LLC. August 2014. Norfolk Botanical Garden.)

#Journal #Journaling #prayerjournaling #timewithgodjournaling #biblicaljournaling #bibleandjournaling #Diary #Christian #ChristianJournaling

No comments:

Post a Comment