Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Prayer Journal and Romans 8:22-39


Prayer Journal and Romans 8:22-39

2014-08-06 07:29:22

My favorite Bibles online, and Bible study and reading resources are found here: http://www.biblegateway.com/ at BibleGateway.com. Hence, I get my daily New Testament reading from here (https://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/) as well. Today's reading is Romans 8:22-39. 

Let me make a confession. Whether it's the Bible or a book I'm reading, I am a highlighting junkie. (Yes. This includes reading fiction as well. Yep. I'm one of those--a nut. Yep. I'm weird. You're going to get used to thinking that of me, by the way.) So, let me confess I have highlighted every single verse of Romans 8. As a matter of fact, yesterday's reading was Romans 8:1-21, but I read the rest of the chapter, so I highlighted every verse at that point. 

Well, today, I've determined that this is the chapter I want to spends a lot of time in--and meditate on it day and night. In fact, I want to meditate on it, contemplate it, ponder it, and pray it and pray over it and through it so much that I end up memorizing it. So, I've saved it down as its own journal entry in Penzu so I can refer to it often and throughout my day and night. So, I will journal on it often. There are some chapters of the Bible you just want to spend so much time with that they become a part of you--and become part of you. This is one of those for me. 

I also just saved it down as a pdf so I can email it to myself and save it down on my cell and tablet so I can see it every time I can on those devices. I also printed it out so I can have it sitting in front of me as a reminder to read it that much and pray on it and think on it. 

My favorite version of the Bible right now is the HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible), so that's the one I'm using.

NOTE: My favorite versions of the Bible change with the seasons and sometimes with the day. But, the ones I tend to stick to are: EXB, GW, HCSB, MSG, NASB, NCV, NKJV, and NLT. I like these because of their copyright rules and I stay clear of the rest because I have a problem with anyone not allowing you to quote their version--as if the Bible is theirs to own. But, that's just me. It's a pet-peeve.

I may spend a couple of days in Romans 8, or I may spend weeks to months. We shall see. 

Romans 8:1 is what I'm going to focus on today.

Romans 8:1 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

 What a sweet relief. 

What does condemnation mean? See: http://www.studylight.org/dictionary/ved/view.cgi?n=532. It means He does not hold it against us and does not blame us. 

The moment I believed, I was forgiven. There is no unpardonable sin. I am forgiven now, was then, and will be. I am forgiven. I am not condemned. God holds nothing against me. He is a God of grace--because I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior and Redeemer. Jesus died of the forgiveness of my sins. So, I'm forgiven. 

What freedom this brings. 

This also makes it easier for me to turn to the Father. I have no shame. I am forgiven. 

Wow. Wonder of wonders. 

(Image credit: Stacy Duplease and Remembering Your Present, LLC 2010-2014.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment