Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Books about the Grief and Loss of a Pet

I am a reader. I try to always have at least book I'm reading; however, it's usually several. I also like to have an idea as to what books to read for different topics, moods, experiences, answers, escapism, etc. A book is usually the cure for any and every problem, ailment, or challenge. (A book is also something meant to bring beauty into our lives--if it is well written.) Hence, if I am dealing with a problem or am curious about a topic, I always go to a book to start to find the answers.
After we put Kara to sleep on Saturday, I've searched for information about the grief and loss of a pet, usually a four-legged kiddo and family member to us humans. It was that I necessarily needed it, since I have dealt with a great deal of loss in my life. My experience has taught me how to grieve appropriately. But, I wondered about help with grief and loss from a pet for others. What books were there on the subject.
What amazed me was how little there are--and how there's even less for people of faith. I looked online and even went in to a bookstore to see what books there were on the subject. Online, I found a few--and bought every single one of them, mind you. I also bought a couple "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books about cats.
What rather amazed me was how in that bookstore there was not one for the grief and loss of a pet--or for infertility. Both challenges are ones the individual usually has to go through alone because few understand what they are going through. Why wasn't there a book about either?
I cannot help but wonder if this might be my calling--journaling about critters (animals) and writing books about them and how animals touch our lives and what we can learn from them about life and about faith. But, is this a topic that is too overly done? I wonder. Then, I remember my visit to the bookstore and find my answer. There was nothing to help with my situation.
Also, I haven't found a book on dealing with cancer in your pet.
Nor did I find a book about what animals mean (or could mean) to those who can't have children.
Nor have I found a good memoir about bring adopted by a feral cat--who has two types of cancer and the journey that ensued because of both.
Kara's story is a very unique one--and I learned from her veterinarian, Dr. G. how few would do what my husband I did for the cat. (Never mind what Kara did to and for us.)
Needless to say, I imagine I am going to share all of Kara's stories and our moments with Kara and see where this leads.
I have the education and experience to help walk with others through their grief--and also have 32+ years of journal keeping experience. I imagine I could be a great help to those who want to remember all of the stories of their pet--and those who want to deal with their grief and loss after the death of a pet--a four-legged furry loved one and kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment