Monday, September 17, 2012

My vision was too much

CONFESSIONS OF A EAGER AND CRAZY WRITERI have learned that I tend to get overly eager when I am excited to learn new things about my family treez.
 
How many people can say they have been here since 1607? And be able to trace it? And, what about multiple family members?
 
Am I bragging? No. Not at all. Every family, mine included, has made their fair share of mistakes. It's how we learn from them that I celebrate. We have lessons we can learn secondhand so we do not need to be doomed to repeat those historical lessons. Never mind how excited it makes me about this great nation--thanks to my family. And, I was already excited to be an American. What a way to learn the history of our country--than through the historical fiction of a real American family?
 
It's how we have been here since 1607 in Jamestown, and even through the Mayflower, that gets me excited. Never mind how I have at least 100 family members who fought in the American Revolutionary War. Never mind all the other wars in which America has fought.
 
It's this excitement that gets me into trouble. A lot of it. Heaps. Loads.
 
I wanted to write a series on: Jamestown, Plymouth, the American Revolutionary War,  the War of 1812, the Civil War, World War I, and World War II, never mind the stories of the several dozens of my family members who were beheaded or executed at the Tower of London. I wanted to write a book of each, then repeat to the second book of each series.
 
I realized that I made a mountain of not just a mole hill, but a 16'er. We do not have any sixteener mountains on earth, and that was what I started to create for myself. (Not good.)  If I would do the research required to do so, it would take me forever and that would mean less writing. That just is not acceptable. I think I have a responsibility as an author to write as much as possible for you, so you do not have to wait too long between books.
 
I also realized the best books for me to write are the phonebook-sized books. Again, it's to give you, the reader, the most bang for your reading delight and pleasure. After all, why do I write? To tell a tale? Who do I tell the tale to? YOU! Hence, you are very important to me.
 
Therefore, here is my new commitment.
 
I am stopping the book I have started to write. That will be part of the new Book 2 of this series.
 
THE FAMILY TREEZ OF THE USA SERIES starts in 1584. So, I am going to start there and write my books from 1584 to the present or so. They will be in order. It will be my lifetime commitment to you. I am in my late-thirties and hope to write about three books of 600 pages each per year--until I am too old to type.
 
Book 1 is now: ROANOKE: 1584-1590.
Book 2 will be: JAMESTOWN: 1607-????.
 
The series will focus on the saga of my family and their lives: marriages, war, faith, children, heartbreak, disaster, and living this thing called life.
 
I am starting to write this new book today and will write 2500 words per day, 5 days a week, and including vacation, I will have it finished around 29th of January 2013. I have to stick with this now. Period. After all, I am going to a writer's conference in February, the Writing for the Soul Conference in Colorado Springs, and MUST have this book to present. I will also have to edit as I go so I can have it ready.
 
The good news is you will be given a lot more to read for free! I will publish a new FREE copy every week, starting this Friday.
 
I have family who went to Roanoke and planned the venture, so I wanted to share their tale... And will answer a lot of what-if questions in a story. I hope you enjoy.
 
Again, the old book 1 will now become part of the new Book 2.
 
Welcome to ROANOKE: 1584-1590.
 
(Image credit: Microsoft Clipart Online.)

Stacy Duplease
Historical Fiction Writer of:
Inspirational American Historical Ancestry Romance Fiction
dba Remembering Your Present, LLC & Family Treez USA
Family Treez Blog and Website: http://familytreezusa.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment