Friday, November 20, 2015

Prayer about terror and standing in the gap


Note to the readers of this blog and my personal (prayer) journaling:
Reader of this blog and my personal journaling (and prayer journaling), I ask that you bear with me as I post a few blog posts today. However, since today is a self-declared prayer retreat for all the victims of terror this week in particular, I determined the material I have to share is too precious not to share. I hope to arm you with prayers as well regarding everyone that has been touched by terrorism in general and this last week.
There will be a couple of more blog posts as well today and through the weekend as well regarding praying about terrorism and all of those involved and all touched by terrorism.
Hence, if you enjoy reading this blog, and do not want to get bombarded by multiple blog posts per day, you might want to consider setting it up as a bookmark and checking it once a day (or more) and at your convenience. Otherwise, I pray each blog post I publish will be a timely one for you and you will not find it annoying to receive yet another one.
My goal is as of December 1st or so to limit my blog posts to one a day, but only five days per week. Until then, I want to arm us with as much material so we can fight the war on terror with the most powerful and effective weapon out there: With prayer. I hope to give you the material needed to do so.
Here is another passage about the importance of watching and praying:
///
Nehemiah 4:8-9 Expanded Bible (EXB)
8 So they all made plans to come to Jerusalem and fight and ·stir up trouble [cause confusion/a disturbance]. 9 But we prayed to our God and appointed guards ·to watch for [L against] them day and night.
-- Expanded Bible (EXB). The Expanded Bible, Copyright © 2011 Thomas Nelson Inc. All rights reserved.
///
Lord, I have thought for years how you want me to be a watchman of and for prayer and stand in the gap. Lord, help me to do so. Teach me fully what this means and how to put it into practice. Once and for all. If You want me to make this a full-time endeavor, please tell me. Guide me and instruct me.
///
Proverbs 3:5-7 New King James Version (NKJV)
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the Lord and depart from evil.
-- New King James Version (NKJV). Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
///
There are always slight nuances between versions or translations of the Bible. Just a one word difference adds more understanding so we can grasp further what God is telling us in His Word. This verse and translation is no exception:
///
Proverbs 3:5-7 GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
5     Trust the Lord with all your heart,
        and do not rely on your own understanding.
6     In all your ways acknowledge him,
        and he will make your paths smooth.
7     Do not consider yourself wise.
    Fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
-- GOD’S WORD Translation (GW). Copyright © 1995 by God's Word to the Nations. Used by permission of Baker Publishing Group
///
Lord, please guide me in my prayer life and in all of my prayers. Show me how to pray about terrorism and what to pray about terrorism. Help me to act as a watchman and to stand in the gap both. Help me to know what this means and apply this knowledge. Lord, help me to understand Your Word fully and be able to apply it fully as I pray for and about terrorism, for all those touched by terrorism and all of those who commit terrorism.
///
Ephesians 1:17-19 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
17 I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, would give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him. 18 I pray that the perception of your mind may be enlightened so you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the glorious riches of His inheritance among the saints, 19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of His power to us who believe, according to the working of His vast strength.
-- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.
///
Lord, the fact is not everyone can stand in the gap like I can. I am unique in what I can offer as I stand in the gap. Therefore, it is my responsibility to pray as only I can, as others pray only as they can. I understand that this is why everyone should pray. for, each of us bring something different to the fight.
I realize I am in a very unique position in my life in general and in my prayer life. My husband works. I stay home. We don't have two-legged children. Therefore, I can pray for an extensive period of time each day, on top of praying as I go and in my mind in God-talk, rather than self-talk.
Lord, how do YOU want me to stand in the gap? What does it look like with my gifts, talents, and abilities?
What does it look like just in general, god, to stand in the gap in prayer?
///
Ezekiel 22:29-31 Expanded Bible (EXB)
29 The people of the land ·cheat others [practice extortion] and ·steal [commit robbery]. They ·hurt [oppress] the poor and needy. They ·cheat [mistreat; extort] foreigners and ·do not treat them fairly [deny them justice].
30 “I looked for someone to ·build up [repair; 13:5] the walls and to stand before me ·where the walls are broken [in the gap/breach] ·to defend these people [L on behalf of the land] so I would not have to destroy them. But I could not find anyone. 31 So I ·let them see [poured out] my ·anger [wrath]. I destroyed them with an anger that was like fire ·because of all the things [L bringing down on their heads all] they have done, says the Lord God.”
-- Expanded Bible (EXB). The Expanded Bible, Copyright © 2011 Thomas Nelson Inc. All rights reserved.
///
Lord, I know for a fact I have not prayed far more than I have--in general and regarding terrorism specifically. Even though I knew You wanted me to do so. I make praying for and about terrorism an intentional goal from time to time, but then I get off-track. And, then I stop. Lord, help me to stand in the gap in the way You want, for as long as You want, even if it means for the rest of my life. Help me to make this a priority--once and for all. Help me to finally and totally commit to the endeavor.
There is only one I can influence and control. That is me. Help me to do so. The fact is, I know how surely I cannot without Your help. Father God, teach me how and guide me. Be with me and Holy Spirit, speak for me when I don't have the words.
I want to stand in the gap about terrorism and be a watchman. Now, help me to learn what that means, Lord.
///
Or a more simple version of the passage:
///
Ezekiel 22:29-31 New Living Translation (NLT)
29 Even common people oppress the poor, rob the needy, and deprive foreigners of justice.
30 “I looked for someone who might rebuild the wall of righteousness that guards the land. I searched for someone to stand in the gap in the wall so I wouldn’t have to destroy the land, but I found no one. 31 So now I will pour out my fury on them, consuming them with the fire of my anger. I will heap on their heads the full penalty for all their sins. I, the Sovereign Lord, have spoken!”
-- New Living Translation (NLT). Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright© 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
///
Not one. You looked and there wasn't one who stood in the gap. Abba, I cannot even begin to imagine how often this has been me and will be me. However, Father, help me to focus intentionally and purposefully on standing in the gap regarding terrorism.
Forgive me for not standing in the gap as I could and for not being a watchman.
Forgive me for all of the times I couldn't sleep, because You wanted me to pray, but I didn't for whatever reason.
Lord, help me.
Now, let's look just at verse 30 in another version or translation of the Bible:
///
Ezekiel 22:30 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
30 I searched for a man among them who would repair the wall and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land so that I might not destroy it, but I found no one.
-- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.
///
Lord, I know that since September Eleventh, 2001, You have put standing in the gap, and acting as a watchman of prayer, on my heart and in my mind about terrorism. There have been times I have heeded the call. However, there have been other times I have not. As I have said several times already, and in different ways. Lord, help me to know how You want me to do this and help me to commit to do so. I cannot without You.
///

No comments:

Post a Comment