Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Prayer and Terror: Personal journaling and getting informed about the history and current events of terrorism (November 17-18, 2015)


Prayer and Terror: Personal journaling and getting informed about the history and current events of terrorism (November 17-18, 2015)
/////
NOVEMBER 17, 2015, TUESDAY
/////
Current events to know about on November 17, 2015:
Article 1)
Title: "ISIS Attacks in Paris: The West's Failure to Comprehend Evil"
Link: http://www.christianheadlines.com/columnists/breakpoint/isis-attacks-in-paris-the-west-s-failure-to-comprehend-evil.html
Article 2)
Title: "President Obama's false choice against the Islamic Stat"
Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/president-obamas-false-choice-against-the-islamic-state/2015/11/16/1c75a984-8c8b-11e5-acff-673ae92ddd2b_story.html
Article 3)
Title: "Russia says Metrojet flight 9268 brought down by bomb; Putin: 'retribution is unavoidable.'"
Link: http://twitchy.com/2015/11/17/russia-says-metrojet-flight-9268-brought-down-by-bomb-putin-retribution-is-unavoidable/
/////
My Personal Journaling
I've been reading about the Koran and have founded yet another book to add to my resources.
I must admit, this is quite the undertaking and I am beyond intimidated. Is it possible for a staunch Christian, American patriot, conservative to be able to look at Islam, their sacred text, terrorism, and the conflict in the Middle East--through the lens of history as I look at current events--and be open-minded? The truth is, I think that terrorists cannot be reasoned with, because they have 1,400 years of tradition and belief--unshaped by time. They look at the history while we look at both modern day and history (or should). This creates some tension, to say the least.
So, can I be objective? I am trying. I keep telling myself, "Just the facts." As I want to learn the facts of history and their beliefs.
I also want to learn as much as I can. I really would want to be a subject matter expert. For, then, my prayers against terrorism can be as effective as possible. This is my drive. This is my purpose. This is why I am daring to try to learn about all of this.
I want to be informed. I do not want to have to quote what others say. What people say can be wrong. I would rather learn the facts for myself.
Right now, I do have to look at what others say in order for me to understand the facts and history. Then, I will embark a journey of looking at primary resources. I will take what people say, though, with the proverbial grain of salt and will form my own opinions based off of the facts I learn from them. I will sift through their commentary and find the facts. Then, once I understand the tenants of Islam, and their holy text, then I will look at primary resources. I will also look at several different historians and what they say about this rich history.
As a Christian, I find this task quite interesting. Just last night, I read the introduction to the book of Galatians, which I am doing with a Bible study group, and I learned how the book of Galatians is older than Islam and the Koran. This makes it rather difficult for me to look at just the facts, I must admit. If an New Testament book, which is the younger part of the Bible, is older than what I am studying, it and it is, then I am forced to pause and remind myself how people believe with their whole hearts in Islam and the Koran, though, they are younger than the Bible. People believe in this and will die for it. They believe this is the sacred. Granted, this makes me wonder, though. Do they define the sacred as I do? Who do they say their god is?
I must admit that I also find it difficult to think of worshipping a god that needs defending. Is this my misunderstanding? Do they not believe in this way? The terrorists. I am under the impression that they believe the one they worship needs them to kill others who do not believe for him. Is this correct? Or, is this my Western, Christian bias coming through? The One I worship can smite out anyone He wants, any time He wants, and does not need me to defend Him.
Am I incorrect? Am I highly biased? Or, am I ignorant of their belief?
I will begin with the facts. I will learn the facts. I cannot be biased with facts. And, the truth is, what fact do I really know about Islam, their holy text, and terrorism? Not much at all. Not even a smidgen. I am illiterate with the text and...
/////
BREAKING NEWS: Passenger tried to enter a cockpit of an airplane heading to Boston. 1144 a.m.
My commentary: Oh, Lord! Thank You for stopping it. I will keep checking the news to find out more information. This sounds like an act of terrorism.
Article 4)
Title: "Passenger reportedly restrained after trying to enter cockpit on British Airways flight"
Link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/17/passenger-reportedly-restrained-after-trying-to-enter-cockpit-on-british/
Me: Was this a female terrorist--or someone that is not quite right in their head today?
/////
On to better news regarding health and coffee:
Article 5)
Title: "Moderate coffee drinking may be tied to lower risk of death"
Link: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/11/17/moderate-coffee-drinking-may-be-tied-to-lower-risk-death.html?intcmp=latestnews
/////
At any rate... I have learned of Islam and the Koran in the past and remember what I learned. But, I didn't study either thoroughly. So, is my knowledge inaccurate or is it accurate? This is why I want to study the facts for myself. I want to try to realize all of my opinions and knowledge might be false. I want to learn the facts so I can make sure my opinions and knowledge are correct and accurate. I want to do my best to be unbiased. I want to learn the facts and the facts will speak for themselves. I will not need to do so.
Isn't that how you can tell truth? Or, should I say Truth with a capital 'T?' Truth is fact. It needs nothing and no one to defend it.
/////
1212 p.m.
The truth of the matter is, I sit down with my now six resources and I stare at them for a moment with big eyes. Which should I open first? And, when I do, will it make sense?
/////
Prayers and Blessings,
Stacy Duplease
Blogs:
RYP Stories http://rypstories.blogspot.com/
Prayer and Terror http://prayerandterror.blogspot.com/
A Journaling Odyssey http://ajournalingodyssey.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment