Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Counting My Blessings with a Troubled Heart--How?





Counting My Blessings with a Troubled Heart--How?
(Blessings Counted Journaling)

October 07, 2014, Tuesday, 1001 a.m. in Garage at My House in Hampton Roads or Newport News, Virginia

A NOTE OF DATE, PLACE, AND TIME
As I do any type of journaling, I try to always jot down the date, day, and time at a minimal. I usually journal at home, in my living/family room and study. Therefore, if I don't take note of the place, that's why. I jot down the place if it's something out of the ordinary, like right now.
I'm in my garage, hanging out with our black, cinnamon, and white colored feral or stray cat, Kara. I'm sitting on one of the most comfortable chairs ever, the patio chair, and have my tablet in hand, along with some coffee with cream and caramel and pumpkin spice syrup.
I want Little Bit, Lady Kara, to know someone is here and she is not alone. She's on her wood pile, hanging out and sleeping. It's a pile of a four by four, with three two by fours on top and is her favorite hang out and place to sleep. Not sure why. I hear a mocking bird, crickets and some type of machine. Are they trimming trees along the front of our house, where there are electrical wires? Hmm. Will look later.
Oh. And as I enjoy the delightful comfort of this chair, I have a designer throw pillow on my lap, acting as a tablet holder so I can journal. I have a jacket on and zipped. It's not cold, but is a little chilly.
Now, if only Kara would eat some more...
And, on to my devotional thoughts.

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHTS, PRAYER JOURNALING, AND BLESSINGS COUNTED JOURNALING
The Bible says how we are to give thanks at all times and for all things. How are we supposed to do this exactly? What does this even look like? Moreover, is it even achievable?
These questions swirl around in my mind, along with all of the unknowns and concerns. How do I give thanks when my heart is troubled? How do I focus my thoughts on giving thanks rather than on what is troubling me?
I just looked over at Kara and thought how amazing it is in the last twelve days how much Kara has become social. She's also getting used to carrying her and letting her all over her body. She no longer hisses as she feels confused about things. She never hissed out of anger, but out of confusion. She hasn't hissed since Friday when she was poked and prodded by the vet. Thank God she's getting more familiar with us.
See. That's what I'm talking about. How do I focus my thoughts to counting my blessings?
Wait. Isn't that what I just did? (Huh.)
Through my troubled heart, I found something to be grateful about and thank God for. How can I do more of this? I pause, think, and pray for the answer. As I do, I cannot help but wonder if it's as simple as that. Is it? Is it just a matter of doing it?
Yeah. I really do think it's that simple. I just need to count my blessings. That's it.

COUNTING MY BLESSINGS
I am thankful, God, for...
A new day. A blank slate. An opportunity to thank You always and throughout my day.
Yay!!! Kara just started eating. I praise You, Lord!
For Kara.
Zack.
Sinan.
Shelley.
Harry.
For B, my husband--and not in this order.
My faith.
Salvation.
Eternity. Heaven.

1032 a.m. Going to go back inside and to study to hang with those critters.

1041 a.m. in study

I am thankful, Lord for...
The sound of the filter of the turtle tank. It sounds like a water feature and is quite relaxing.
For the sounds Kara, Zack, and Sinan make. each individualistic and grip the heart in a good way. Precious. 
Zack and Shelly hanging out with me in the study.
I have a pretty table cloth, folded in thirds, and is sitting on my desk. It's a harvest one. It's from WalMart and is orange mainly in color with white, red, and brown, and is of owls. It adds color to my study and is friendly and inspiring. 
I also got a tablecloth for the floor when Kara comes inside of autumn leaves and pine cones. It will be what I put on the floor where her box will be, along with her food and water. It will protect the carpet and add more color in here. 
I love this time of year. Fall is my favorite season. 
I'm grateful for my husband. He is the greatest. He has a huge heart and is a wonderful man, husband, and friend. 
My Amazon Kindle Fire HDX tablet.
The online journal, Penzu. 
My ability to type. (Thanks Mom for getting me in typing glasses one summer when I was about ten years old. They've paid off for me ever since.) 
A good book to read.
Answers, Lord, of how I'm supposed to focus first and foremost on counting my blessings. 

How do I give thanks--even when I have a troubled heart? And, how am I to always give thanks? These questions swirl some more in my mind. 
How? Through living this verse, along with Philippians 4:6 and 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18. 

Psalm 105:1 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

Give thanks to Yahweh, call on His name;
proclaim His deeds among the peoples.

I am to give thanks to the Lord.
I am to call on His name, in which He has many names and characteristics. I can give thanks for each. 
I am to call on His name and pray. As I do that, I am to offer Him thanksgiving. 
I am to remember what He has done in my life, in the lives all around me, and in history--and share all of this with others. This is another facet of giving thanks always. 
Then, there's this verse:

Colossians 4:2 New Living Translation (NLT)

Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart.
New Living Translation (NLT)
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright© 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I am to be devoted to prayer and thanksgiving.

1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 New Century Version (NCV)

17 Pray continually, 18 and give thanks whatever happens. That is what God wants for you in Christ Jesus.
New Century Version (NCV)
The Holy Bible, New Century Version®. Copyright © 2005 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

Give thanks--even when I have a troubled heart.
And, here is a verse I need to focus on most when my heart is troubled--and applying it and live it out:

Philippians 4:6 GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks.
GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
Copyright © 1995 by God's Word to the Nations. Used by permission of Baker Publishing Group

No comments:

Post a Comment