Monday, September 8, 2014

The 5-Day Countdown to a Major Life Blessing

The 5-Day Countdown to a Major Life Blessing
2014-09-08 11:46:43

I am reaching a monumental life marker on September 13, 2014.

I've talked about this in previous journaling entries and blog posts. However, this is different. I'm going to devote some time every day this week to focusing on this life milestone and major life blessing. I want to look back, look at the present, and look into the future and give God thanks and give Him the glory as I seek to do His will today and tomorrow (and every moment and day thereafter). 

Yep. Turning forty--the big Four-Oh--turning four decades--turning two-fifths of a century old is a major blessing to me. 

I am not upset at all to turn forty. It's a privilege in my opinion. That being said, it only adds more responsibility to my life. Now, let me explain everything I just said and to everything I just inferred.

Turning four decades old is an enormous blessing because God has given me forty years to try to grow my faith in Him and try to get to know Him more, as I also try to bring Him glory in all I do, say, think, feel, and believe. 

Let me put it a little more simply, though. Why is turning forty a blessing? It's because God has had a purpose for each day and each moment He has allowed me to live on earth. And, the same can be said for every moment hereafter. What is His purpose? It's to bring Himself glory. It's to show how He alone is God and He alone deserves our loyalty and praise. 

He has a purpose for me every moment I have been alive, am alive, and will be alive. The catch is, I need to continue to remain open to Him and the Word through prayer, Bible reading and contemplation and application, and thanksgiving. These are the vessels He uses to have a relationship with me and to speak to me, if I remain open and listen, never mind do what He says, how He says, when He tells me to do so. 

Let me emphasize this point:

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

16 Rejoice always!
17 Pray constantly.
18 Give thanks in everything,
for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
I have spent the last four decades on earth, each and every moment and day, so I can do the things commanded to me in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. This is what I am supposed to do every day for the rest of my life. Period. End of story. The End. 

What is my purpose now? In the past? And in the future? It's that--pure and simple. 

Well, here's another way to phrase one of these points:

Verse to Focus on Today: Psalm 9:1

Psalm 9:1 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

For the choir director: according to Muth-labben. A Davidic psalm.

I will thank Yahweh with all my heart;
I will declare all Your wonderful works.
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.

Psalm 9:1 is a good summary for 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, wouldn't you say? It's just another way to say it and adds a little more meaning. Both speak powerfully as to how I am to live my life.

It's all about You, Lord, not me. You are the reason why I've lived, am living, and will live. 

1 Corinthians 12:6-11 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts ofhealing by the one Spirit, 10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to anotherprophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

God has given me a Gift of the Spirit of faith. 

Lord, thank You for the last four decades and for growing my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment