Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Researching the Island of Roanoke



When I was on vacation last month, one of the places we went to see was Roanoke Island, North Carolina. That was where my relatives Sir John Arundell and Sir Richard Grenville went in 1585-1856 in an effort to find the ideal place to set up the first permanent English settlement and colony in the North America.

I wanted to go there for research for the book I am writing, THE STORYKEEPER OF ROANOKE (THE FAMILY TREEZ OF THE USA SERIES, BOOK #1.) 

I had no idea how emotional it would be for me. It is very different to see the first place that started the United States of America as a relative of two who were there. (And Sir Walter Raleigh, who was the mastermind in charge of this expedition, was a relative as well, by the way.) It moved me to see and experience. It helped me with the passion I have for this book.

My book cover is a picture of the earthworks at present day Fort Raleigh. It's where there was a fort back in 1587-1590.



Here are more pictures:






 
Photo from inside the earthworks:



(Photo Credits: Stacy Duplease Oct. 2012 at Fort Raleigh).

Stacy Duplease
Thriller Historical Fiction Writer
The Storykeeper of Roanoke: The Family Treez of the USA Series, Book #1
dba Remembering Your Present, LLC & Family Treez USA

No comments:

Post a Comment