Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Love of God, Country, Military, and Voting: Family Tree



I was raised to have love of God, country, military, and voting.

I was always taught that these are the minimum values a person should have. Ideally, we would apply the Bible to our lives and love our neighbor as well.

I also was taught that every American should vote. No exceptions. Period. How many have died for the opportunity to vote? 

I was raised to love God first.

I also was taught to love the military. They put their lives on the line every day, by choice, for me--someone who has not made the same decision. The military are the ones who are the true heroes because they make it so we can live free.

This was my passionate value system before I discovered my family tree this spring. No one had any idea that we had four family members live in Jamestown in 1607--and that does not count the several others who lived in Jamestown, or nearby communities, from 1607-1623. 

So, imagine how passionate I am about these values today.

It's rather odd when I have to fill out my ethnicity. Not one form ever gives the option of checking AMERICAN. (How wrong is that?) I am all-American. Can't get much more American. Since 1607. (Actually since 1585 in Roanoke, but he didn't stay.) 

I've had family members fight in EVERY American war. 

Today means more to me than it ever has. 

Today shows how the United States of America is the greatest country on earth. We can vote. And we are not killed for it. And, the next President goes into office without armed conflict. It's a peaceful transition.

How fortunate are we?!

God bless the United States of America.

(Image Credit: Microsoft Images Online.)

Stacy Duplease
Thriller Historical Fiction Writer
The Storykeeper of Roanoke: The Family Treez of the USA Series, Book #1
dba Remembering Your Present, LLC & Family Treez USA

No comments:

Post a Comment