Tuesday, November 6, 2012

NaNoWriMo Day 6 News and A Revolutionary Change of Perpsective



NEWS
I am sorry for being a stranger on this blog since NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) began on 01 November. I've been writing as much as I can, as fast as I can.

As of this moment, I am sitting at 11,071 words of 50,000 for the NaNoWriMo goal. (My personal goal is more than that.) Yay!

I changed the title of the book one more time. But, this is it. I finally found the perfect title:

THE STORYKEEPER OF ROANOKE
THE FAMILY TREEZ OF THE USA SERIES, BOOK #1. 

A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA:
THROW OUT THE WORD COUNT IDEA
On Saturday, 03 November 2012, I about had a meltdown. The word count was not what I thought it should be. Sure, I met the NaNoWriMo count of 1667 words--no problem. But, I wanted triple that. I wanted to really push myself. I... I-I-I. Me-me-me. Me, myself, and I.

Do you see the problem?

I realized that I became the center of my focus--not the book.

Whoa. This stopped me in my tracks. I realized how:

~ The goal was the center--not the book.
~ A checklist became what was important, not the process of writing. 

This is WRONG. 

I fell into the trap.

I have stopped looking at word count. 

I have a good sense as to how much I am writing--or not writing. I can tell you if it's been a yucky day or a good day. But, the driving force should be the story--not the word count.

I think this new mindset, point-of-view, and perspective have changed my writing life entirely. 

I am actually getting more writing done than before because I have the proper attitude and perspective of the story -not the word count. It takes the stress off. There are great days and bad days with writing. But, they average out to at least a good day over the long-run. There's nothing wrong with that.

Why do I write? It's to tell a story. Period.

(Image Credit: Microsoft Images Online.) 

Stacy Duplease
Thriller Historical Fiction Writer
The Storykeeper of Roanoke: The Family Treez of the USA Series, Book #1
dba Remembering Your Present, LLC & Family Treez USA

No comments:

Post a Comment