Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Joy vs. Happiness and Psalm 9:1-2 (MSG)



Lord, thank You for these verses. They have certainly blessed my socks off. And, that is putting it mildly.

I can live these verses for the rest of my life and I want to do so.

If my tombstone was large enough, I would want to include these verses on it. But, this would also do: "A woman of joy, who lived Psalm 9:1-2 (MSG)." So, until then, I want to try to live this verse every single day, moment by moment.

What incredible verses to live each moment.

Joy can be found in every moment. Happiness cannot. Joy is not contingent on anything. Happiness depends on choice and often times on outer circumstances and emotions, both of which change with the wind. Joy is inner and is deeper. It depends on nothing but faith. Joy is eternal while happiness changes by the moment and mood.

Joy is not something we can intentionally gain. It is given to us by the Holy Spirit:

Galatians 5:22-23 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.

Therefore, joy is not something we manufacture. Rather, it is given to us when we believe in Jesus Christ.

Psalm 9:2 The Message (MSG)
9 1-2 I’m thanking you, God, from a full heart,
    I’m writing the book on your wonders.
I’m whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy;
    I’m singing your song, High God.
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment