Thursday, October 16, 2014

STORIES OF BLESSING #2

BLOG POST TIME

I will post the latest edition of Stories of Blessing each day, at least Monday through Friday, at Noon (12:00 p.m.) Eastern Standard Time. Therefore, stay tuned.

-------------

PLEASE SEND ME YOUR STORIES OF BLESSING

I would love to hear and share your stories of blessing on this blog. It would be a blessing to all of us. After all, your stories matter.

What blessings have you had, do you have, and will you have, in your life? Or, someone you know.

Writing/Sharing Your Story Tip: It can be a 1-liner. It does not have to be ellaborate. I recommend at least four sentences, though, so we as readers can share more in your blessing. The four sentences can each be short, though.

How do you share your story? Look on the left side of this blog for directions.

------------

THE LAYOUT AND APPEARANCE OF THIS BLOG

My PC died a couple of weeks ago and I've been waiting for its replacement to arrive. Therefore, I apologize the layout and appearance of this blog are not exactly what I prefer. When I get my new computer, I will have the ability to do more than I can with my tablet. I do most of my writing on my tablet, and love it, but it does have some shortcomings and this is one of them. (Sigh.)

Thank you for your patience with this endeavor.

------------


WE WERE ADOPTED

Written 2014-10-14 19:21:15, Tuesday and 2014-10-15 10:44:20, Wednesday

One evening, about a month ago and in late September, my husband and I were headed to dinner in my car, which sat out front. B remembered he needed to grab something out of our detached garage toward the back of our house. So, he headed to the garage and when I grabbed my bag, I headed to my car and waited for him. 

A few minutes later, I decided to go and investigate to see where B was and what had him sidetracked. About the time I made the turn from the front of the house toward the garage, B headed my way and gestured with his hand for me to follow him. I picked up my pace and he told me, "You need to see what I found--or maybe I should say who."

I knew right then and there we might be in trouble because of his tone. It wasn't his, "You need to see this insect" tone, but was his, "I found a critter to fall for" tone. Oh, dear. 

B and I are both animal lovers. If it is alive, we're mesmerized by it. Animals show the glory of God the creator and we're always in awe of animals. 

We are the 'pull over on the side of the road to see a deer and get several photos of it' type couple. We're the ones who see the critters of this world when no one else does. For instance, I cannot tell you how many times we've gone to Virginia Beach and watched the dolphins while the hundreds in the water and on shore do not see the dolphins. We're the ones who also will see the tree hugging raccoon when everyone else is rushing by and miss him. And, he's maybe five feet off the sidewalk in a tree. 

Never mind how we have Noah's Ark in our house as it is--of a beagle, cat, and two aquatic turtles. Our cat was a rescued feral kitten. He and his littermates were on the railroad tracks. 

When we got to the garage, a black and white kitty was there. I started to call out to it, but B said, "I think she's deaf. You know how we open the garage door from inside the house. Well, the cat was in there, exploring. I hollered out and it didn't hear me. I walked up to it as was able to nudge it's tail with my shoe--just in case it felt threatened--and didn't want to get too close. Instead, I was headbutted and it purred like crazy. It's a sweet thing."

Sure enough, it was. The cat was starving for food and affection. 

Over the next few days, we fed it, gave it water, and figured out it was a female and she didn't have claws on her front feet. Never mind how she was quite malnourished and was thinner than thin. Needless to say, we knew she would never survive in the wild, particularly with cold weather approaching. So, we took out our vehicles and put her in the garage and worked on socializing her with us, which was quite easy. We even took her to the vet. She got all of her shots (poor thing) and was given a clean bill of health--other than some tooth issues and will require an operation.

So, Kara's been in my study for nearly two weeks now. We are slowly, and boy do I mean slowly, getting her and our beagle and cat acquainted. It will be slow in coming, but it will happen. 

It's been a major blessing watching the feral cat, who didn't stand a chance of survival, become an indoor cat. She loves being inside. Kara knows she is safe and has all the food and water she could ever want and all of the love. She has a whole new life and is thriving. 

We've loved being a blessing to her, but she has also been a blessing to us. How can something so small be such a major thief--of hearts?

It's also amazing how something so small could be such a major blessing. 

-- By Stacy Duplease of Virginia

#Animals #Blessings #Cats #Critters #Rescue #StoriesOfBlessing 

------------

THE BLESSING OF FAMILY DURING A TIME OF DIFFICULT DECISIONS

Written 2014-10-16 06:55:46, Thursday

I am so blessed to have the family I have. This is something I've known all of my life. However, there are some times it stands out more than others. 

I've told three of my family members of a hard choice my husband, B, and I made in our lives. It's been a difficult decision to say the least. It's a decision that impacts all of them, not just us. (Our marriage is solid and thriving, let me add. So, it's not regarding that.) The three family members knew it how difficult this was for us, and how it's been one of tears and has been a punch in the gut, and they reacted as I imagined. Our news didn't upset them. They realized it was our choice, but it was a difficult one. They were completely supportive. (Whew and thank God. What a blessing!)

Granted, if they weren't, it would have made it harder, but the decision is the right one for B and I. They put on their tough faces for me, so to speak. Bless them. 

I'm sure they feel like B and I. Shocked, but not. Sad, but not. 

This has been years in the making. 

My family's reaction has been a relief. It makes me sad they have to go through this, too, but I think we are all excited to see what happens through this decision. This is another blessing.

God will turn this into something wonderful. We have no doubt. What a blessing.

The journey of life is never easy. Moreover, nothing in my life has gone according to plan. Not once. Nor has anything been fair. And, I say thank God for all of these things. While I go through it, it is challenging, but I also know how eventually hindsight will show me how things work out, not just for the better, but for the best, if I just keep the faith. It's my family, and life experience, that has taught me this. Again, what a blessing.

Because of my family's reaction, B and I are freed to do what God wants us to do, and they will gladly join us for the ride. (A blessing that brings tears to my eyes. Thank God.)

-- By Stacy Duplease of Virginia

#Choices #Decisions #Family 

------------

A RECOMMENDATION ANYONE WHO WANTS TO WRITE THEIR OWN STORIES OF BLESSING: A HOW-TO

If you are thinking about writing one story of blessing, or many, I promised to write some blog posts on how to do so. Well, here is the first one.

So, you've made the decision. You want to count your life blessings and write your stories of blessing. 

Let me share a secret with you: It doesn't have to be perfect writing, grammar, or anything like that. 

Pretend someone is sitting in front of you and tell them your story. As you do, either record it and type it out later or type it out as you go. 

That's it. It's really that simple. But, where or how should you write or type it out? Read this:

---

Penzu Online Journal Coupon

Do you want to write your stories of blessing and keep them permanently? I recommend using Penzu for this purpose. Here is a link for a coupon:


Penzu is how I do all of my journaling. It's how I save all of my stories of blessing. 

You can do the free version, which is wonderful. I definitely recommend it.

Or, you can do a $19 per year version. It's a little fancier and offers more options. If you use the above link, you get a discount off that price. If you are serious about keeping your legacy of blessings, and want to write as many as possible, this is what I would recommend.

I've journaled for well over three decades and Penzu is easy to use and is the best journal out there. 

#Journaling #Penzu #TellingYourStory 

------------

A CHRISTIAN AND BIBLICAL BLESSING: PERSPECTIVE, FOCUS, CLARITY

Written 2014-10-16 08:31:33, Thursday

Every morning, I like to read the Bible, the Word of God, and find a verse or several verses I want to meditate on, think about, ponder, and pray about all day and night long. (Granted, sometimes I'm more successful than others with the all day and night part, than others.)

Why do I do this?

I want to start my blank slate and opportunity of the new day, the morning, with perspective, focus, clarity, or whatever you want to call it. This gives me direction and something positive and purposeful to focus on this day. 

I am a firm believer of garbage in, garbage out. Hence, I try to put healthy, eternal focused things into my mind, not earthly garbage. This is why I do the morning search for a focal verse, a variety of verses, or passage.

What a blessing it's been.

Every single time I do this, and try to look at these verse(s) at least three times each day, it pays off in great dividends for me. It's never wasted. My day ends up being one that's purposeful--and not one that's just lived and at the end of the day I wonder what I really accomplished that helped my soul. 

The following verse is one I've used since 1997 from time to time. This is the Verse of the Day for http://BibleGateway.com:

Psalm 19:14 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

14 May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You,
Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.
Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.

Talk about a blessing. If I were to focus on this verse day in and day out, what would my life be like? 

-- By Stacy Duplease of Virginia

#Bible #Blessing #Christian #Heart #StoriesOfBlessing #Words

-------------

THE BLESSING OF "OUR DAILY BREAD" (A CHRISTIAN BLESSING)

Ever since 1990, there's been a daily devotional and Bible reading my Granny, Aunt, and I have done. It's called: "OUR DAILY BREAD." It's one that you'll find in most churches and ministries on their giveaway rack. And, it's one of the best daily resources I've found. 

Here's the link:

I know I can read it for free on the previous link, or get it from the church for free, but I choose to buy it for my Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet, knowing they (ODB) receive some of the money for it--and I can keep notes in the daily devotional on the Kindle and save them for life. It's rather nice to have several years of these on hand, where I can look at, for example, October 16 of several years, and their highlights and notes, and see what all has happened in my life between now and then, it's a way I can track my journey with the Lord. This is a blessing. 

I decided about a week ago to do the Bible reading program they use again for the next year in order to read my Bible through in a year. I haven't done this in a couple of years, so it's time. (A blessing.)

Our Daily Bread is a blessing. Each writer of the devotionals is a blessing. The ministry of ODB is a blessing. Knowing my Granny and Aunt read them as well, the same day as I do, is a blessing. Knowing that people around the world read them on the same day as well is another blessing. 

It's also another way I focus my day each morning. This, too, is a blessing.

It always amazes me how much the daily devotional will speak to me (blessing) and the Daily Bible reading (a blessing). But, the times they do not, it's amazing. within a week, the material is something I share with someone else. That's something I always try to remember on those days when I'm-just-not-feelin'-it. I ask myself the question: Then, who is this for? (It's a blessing for someone else.) Then, within a month, that material is usually applicable to me as well. 

God's Word never comes out empty or void (see Isaiah 55:11). 

I am so grateful.

------------

IN ORDER THEY WERE RECEIVED

Please know I will share the Stories of Blessing in the order they were received. 

This is to help eliminate priority order of any kind. I would rather go in the order of time given. It also adds meaning to see where they fit in among all the other blessings. 

------------

STORIES OF BLESSING FROM DENVER

Blessings at this moment:


I'm alive.  It's a new day.  Out on balcony watching leaves falling off trees beginning to show their naked limbs. Beautiful sight.


Watching Molly, my cat. Sleep after crazy night,  but not for long.


No matter how tired I am just knowing what a beautiful day I'm about to encounter.


Thinking of you and so proud of you and your decisions!


Yes,  it's a beautiful day!


-- By Ellen of Denver


#Autumn #Beauty #Blessings #Cat #Day #Fall #Leaves #Mornings #StoriesOfBlessing


------------ 


CURRENT EVENTS BLESSING COUNTED (EBOLA)


I am quite grateful that another Ebola case hasn't been announced overnight here in the States. What a blessing.


-- By Stacy Duplease of Virginia


#Blessing #CurrentEvents #Ebola #News


------------


NOT A STORY WRITER, BUT DO LIKE LISTS?


You can share a list of your blessings if you want. 


Again, just try to be specific so we can understand what you mean and refer to and don't be too vague. 


------------



THE BLESSING OF PUMPKIN SOUP 

Written 2014-10-16 10:57:11, Thursday

Have you ever noticed how food is a blessing? 

Also, food seems to stir up fond memories. (Another blessing.)

Recipes seem to do the same. (Yep. Another blessing.)

Also, have you noticed how some foods, and some recipes, are traditions? (Blessing.)

Let me start off by saying: For those of you who like pumpkin, but have never tried pumpkin soup, try it! It's like warm pumpkin pie without the extra calories. Now, before you crinkle your nose at me, like I did, at the sound of pumpkin soup, and even when you read the recipe, try it. You'll be blessed. (Unless you don't like one of the ingredients, of course!)

I wish I could say this was a recipe passed down from my family for generation. But, it simply isn't the case. I found it a couple of years ago and have made it a modern staple and tradition. 

I made some today--the first batch of the season and am quite pleased with how it turned out. I have to admit, it makes me all warm inside for two different reasons: It's warm--and because it makes me feel content. 

Also, it's healthy. Lower in calorie. Easy to make. Is quick to cook. And, it's pumpkin--the time of Fall--and Harvest--and Thanksgiving. (All blessings.)

Try it, or make some of your own, and start a tradition in your house and family. 


RECIPE FOR PUMPKIN SOUP

1 16 oz can of pumpkin (regular--not pumpkin pie style)

1 cup chicken broth (This was the ingredient I turned my nose up at. I love it, but with pumpkin? It adds to the recipe, believe it or not! I'm glad I tried it.) 

Cook in a small saucepan. Mix up ingredients. Cook on low as you add these spices:

Use whatever you use for pumpkin pie and flavor it to your taste. Use these spices in powdered form: 
Cinnamon (Several shakes)
Allspice
Ginger
Nutmeg (Easy does it)
Cloves
Add couple of shakes of each and stir in pan.

Then, add lid (cover).

Turn up to medium until it starts to bubble. Then, turn it to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes. 

Add 1/4 cup half-in-half.

Then, add lid (cover).

Turn up to medium until it starts to bubble. Then, turn it to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes. 

Try it. How are the spices? If good, then serve warm. Makes about two larger servings or four tiny servings. If needs more spices, add more, and cover and cook a couple of minutes--try again. 

That's it.

Tip: So, if you are feeling rather indulgent, you can have the entire batch in one sitting for about 400 calories. Or, space it out into two if it's just you. Or, do what I do. I make a batch and sample it all day--a couple of serving spoons full until you have half. then, repeat tomorrow. But, that's just me. 

The soup is a blessing and sharing it with you is as well. 

-- By Stacy Duplease of Virginia

#Blessings #Pumpkin #Soup #StoriesOfBlessing #Tradition

------------

*** Updated last on Oct. 17, 2014, 912 a.m. ***


2 comments:

  1. It's the little things in life that awakens us to our blessings.

    Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the little things in life that awakens us to our blessings.

    Sissy

    ReplyDelete