Friday, May 8, 2015

How Do You Journal?: An Introduction

SO, HOW DO YOU JOURNAL ANYWAY?: JUST BEGIN

I will go into all of the nuts and bolts, and the specifics, throughout blog of how to journal. However, in this blog post, since it is the very first one on how to journal, I will get to the most important information you need to know now so you can start to journal the second after you read this blog post, or even as you read this. I think we should jump right in and journal immediately.

We cannot start journaling until we have a journal. Hence, that's where we will start. We'll begin with finding our journaling method. Whether you have journaled in the past, or haven't at all, you need to pick your digital journaling method.

Yes. I am insisting you start right now with journaling on your computer and to then save your journaling on the Cloud. (I will explain how. No worries.) If you start journaling on your cell, computer, and that now, then it will become a habit in three months. There is not time like the present.

WHY DO DIGITAL JOURNALING? 

Four years ago, my house was threatened by a large funnel cloud, I was moved by movers, I went through an earthquake, and I was forced to evacuate because of a hurricane. All of that happened in the space of five weeks. Each act of God threatened to destroy nearly three decades of my handwritten journals. But, it was the movers who lost ten years of my journals that got to me the most. Ouch.

This is why I insist on digital journaling--and not just any kind of digital journaling, but making sure to save it to the Cloud. That way, your house, cell, computer, laptop, and tablet can all be destroyed or lost or stolen, but you will still have your journals. Permanent journaling is the only way to go.

Please try digital journaling now. It can save you a lot of heartache. I still mourn over the loss of my journaling and the pain is just as raw today as it was when it happened. You do not want to put all that time, effort, heart, and soul into your journaling only to have it lost.

Now, if you think, "Well, I can handwritten them, then I can type them up later," don't fool yourself. You may want to do that, but life has a funny way of interrupting our plans. Things will get in the way. So, save yourself the extra work and develop the habit of digital journaling today.

So, what are the methods of digital journaling?

HOW DO YOU DIGITAL JOURNAL? (WHAT ARE THE METHODS?)

How do you digital journal? You use your cell, tablet, laptop, and/or computer to journal.
Now, before I continue, so I do not have to write out those four devices each time, I will keep it simple and call it just your device to keep it simple, or if I want to be a little fancy, I will say digital device.

How do you use your device to journal? There are a few methods to do so:

1 Email: Send yourself an email (this saves it on the internet permanently and offers a search option).

2 Journal in a Document: Journal in a blank document, then email it to yourself for permanent record.

3 Journaling App: Use a journaling app. But, this is one I highly recommend you to AVOID.

ONLY use a journaling app if you can send each entry to yourself via email or save it as a pdf and then email that to yourself. MOST journaling apps do NOT offer these features.

Also, make sure you can use your app on ALL of your devices. MOST do not carry across all devices.

4 An Online Journal: This is the way I recommend most. You can do a private or public blog, or keep a private or public journal. As far as the blogs, some examples are: Blogger, Tumblr, etc. As far as online journals, there's Penzu, LiveJournal, etc. I recommend Penzu.com with no hesitation and simply cannot recommend it enough.

What makes an online journal so appealing is that then it is saved onto the Cloud (hence, is permanent). Also, they offer different features or options to help you journal and make your journaling easier and more pleasurable.

PENZU.COM: A SHAMELESS PLUG

I have used Penzu.com since November 2012 and I have over 10,176 journaling entries. Some of these entries are fifty pages and longer. I currently add roughly 1,000 entries per month. I do all of my writing in this journal, I also email copies of important emails, and email links to myself for later (of articles, things to buy, books to read, movies to see, how-to information, and anything else I can think of).

My point is not to brag (not at all), but is to point our how Penzu.com has unlimited space. You will not find this in any other online journal or blog. And, it's only $20 per year for the PRO version. But, the free version also has unlimited in space and, frankly, is wonderful. I definitely recommend it as well. Try the free version for at least a month, preferably three, and if you want the extras.

The differences between the free and Pro are in the Pro version, you can:

-- Have multiple journals
-- Tab or label each entry and do so with multiple tabs
-- Email your entries to your journal or from your journal
-- Can save one entry or all the entries in your journal in a off
-- Etc.

If you ever want the Pro version, here is a 20% off coupon. It's the best way to keep a journal or diary in the Cloud, when you use this link:

http://classic.penzu.com/r/34f16257

I will stop this plug and allow you the opportunity to check it out for yourself. Also, if you have any questions, technical support is fabulous, or feel free to contact me. I most likely can give you some guidance and or tips. Send an email or attach a comment at the end of any blog post.

HOW DO YOU JOURNAL AND DO DIGITAL JOURNALING?

The simplest answer is: Capture your life on the page.

In other words, write your thoughts, feelings, experiences, dreams, goals, fears, memories, blessings, prayers, to do list, etc. in a journaling entry. Give a summary of a moment in your day and a summary of your day, week, month, quarter, year, decade, etc. Make lists. Share your challenges and joys. What do you like and don't like? What hat have you read or watched?

Let me simplify the previous paragraph: If you have done it (lived it), thought it, felt it, dreamt of, write it down.

Or simply, journal anything and everything that comes to mind.

Really. It's that simple. Capture your life on the page, your present, past, and future.

WHAT SHOULD YOU JOURNAL NOW?: IT'S YOUR TURN (A JOURNALING EXERCISE OR PROMPT)

List five blessings in your life today.

How are you feeling?

What are you thinking?

What have you done and experienced today? Or in the past?

Blessings,
--Stacy Duplease
Email:
agodlyvision@gmail.com
rememberingyourpresent@gmail.com
Blogs:
http://journalingstuff.blogspot.com
http://rypstories.blogspot.com
Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HDX Tablet

No comments:

Post a Comment