Friday, November 14, 2014

DAY 1: PAUL AND ACTS 7:57-59






DAY 1: PAUL AND ACTS 7:57-59

Written 2014-11-13 15:24:38, Thursday

WORKING TITLE:
THE BLESSING OF PAUL:
A DEVOTIONAL BIBLE STUDY

DAY 1: PAUL AND ACTS 7:57-59

WHY DO I WANT TO STUDY PAUL?
Paul/Saul is quite interesting as a man, preacher/teacher, and writer. He was quite passionate about the Lord Jesus Christ and grace. After all, he was given grace when he called himself the chief of sinners. It was this grace he wanted people to know about. 
He didn't mince words and he tended to hold people's feet to the flame in order to make sure that they followed the truth of the Gospel and not the truth they thought was more comfortable or easier to do. 
Why study him?
He wrote the most of the New Testament of any of the writers. 
Paul is the one my husband, B, wants to meet first in heaven, after the Trinity (God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit) of course. It is because of this I have been feeling more and more drawn to the Apostle. Consequently, I've decided to do an intensive Bible study on him and might even write a fiction series (of novels) based off of Paul and his life. First, I need to do extensive research and learn everything I can about Paul (who was Saul). 

RESEARCHING PAUL
There is something both interesting and heartbreaking that I've learned since I decided to start to research and study Paul/Saul of the New Testament. There have been very few resources written on him, nonfiction or fiction. 
I asked my husband, who is knowledgeable about the Bible and Paul, why this was the case after it disturbed me all day and he mentioned how he thought Paul was the most misunderstood individual in the Bible. After all, Paul taught a Good News message of how it was not actions which led a person to heaven and eternal life. Rather, it is the inner man (what is on the inside and intent). 
Now, I am convinced all the more how essential it is for me, a layperson, to study Paul. I want to see if I can dedicate myself to helping others learn everything about the man, what he taught, and what he wrote. 

THIS IS A DAILY DEVOTIONAL BIBLE STUDY SERIES
What exactly is a daily devotional Bible study series? You may wonder. 
It's what you think. It's a daily devotional and a Bible study combined, where you read each day a portion and are asked some questions where I ask for you to journal your answers. That's it.

WHERE TO BEGIN?
There are many places to start this Bible study on the Apostle, Paul. So, I've decided to follow the advice from "Doe a Deer" and the "Sound of Music" and start at the very beginning... Mostly. Paul/Saul was mentioned first in Acts 5:34, but that is not where I want to begin since that verse was just a reference to Paul and wasn't Paul in action, so to speak.
Hence, I have decided to start with Acts 7:58, but wanted to have a little context. I will look at far more of the context in a bit, but not right now. I want to focus on these verses, and fifty-eight in particular. 

Acts 7:57-59 Expanded Bible (EXB)

57 Then they shouted loudly and covered their ears and all ·ran [rushed together; or rushed with one intent] at Stephen. 58 They ·took [dragged] him out of the city and began to ·throw stones at him to kill [stone] him [C the customary way to execute a criminal]. And ·those who told lies against Stephen [or his accusers; those who provided testimony;L the witnesses] left their coats ·with [L at the feet of] a young man named Saul [C later known as Paul]59 While they were ·throwing stones [stoning him], Stephen ·prayed[L called out], “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.”
Expanded Bible (EXB)
The Expanded Bible, Copyright © 2011 Thomas Nelson Inc. All rights reserved.

JOURNALING QUESTIONS:
1 What do we learn about Saul/Paul from Acts 7:58?
2 What do we learn about Saul/Paul from Acts 7:57-59?
3 Pretend like you know nothing about Saul/Paul. What do you think of him after reading this passage? Why? 
4 Does this change what you know of Paul/Saul now? 
5 Is there anything you can learn from this regarding your own life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment