Friday, March 21, 2014

Matthew 11:28-30 and Times of Trial and Challenge: The Tough Stuff of Life



Matthew 11:28-30 and Times of Trial and Challenge: The Tough Stuff of Life

Matthew 11:28-30 / Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
28 “Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.(A) 29 All of you, take up My yoke and learn from Me,(B) because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for yourselves.(C) 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Cross references:
-- HCSB: Scripture quotations marked HCSB are taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers. Used by permission. Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Holman CSB®, and HCSB® are federally registered trademarks of Holman Bible Publishers.

Matthew 11:28-30 / The Message (MSG)
28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”
--  MSG: Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.  

Matthew 11:28-30 / GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
28 “Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. 29 Place my yoke[a] over your shoulders, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble. Then you will find rest for yourselves30 because my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Footnotes:
  1. Matthew 11:29 A yoke is a wooden bar placed over the necks of work animals so that they can pull plows or carts.
-- GW: Scripture is taken from GOD’S WORD®, © 1995 God’s Word to the Nations. Used by permission of Baker Publishing Group.

Matthew 11:28-30 / Expanded Bible (EXB)
28 “Come to me, all of you who are ·tired [weary] and ·have heavy loads [overburdened; T heavy-laden] and I will give you rest. 29 ·Accept my teachings [L Take my yoke upon you] and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in ·spirit [heart], and you will find rest for your ·lives [souls; Jer. 6:16]. 30 ·The burden that I ask you to accept [L …because my yoke] is easy; ·the load I give you to carry [L and my burden] is light.”  
-- EXB: Scripture taken from The Expanded Bible. Copyright © 2011 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Matthew 11:28-30 / New Living Translation (NLT)
28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”  
-- NLT: Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

REFERENCES:
3 Etc.

(Image credit: Microsoft images online 2008-2014.)

No comments:

Post a Comment