Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Week 1 Extra: A Journaling Memoir Entry




A Week 1 Extra: A Journaling Memoir Entry


March 15, 2014, Saturday

WHY WOULD ANYONE BE INTERESTED IN DOING A 6+ YEAR FOUR GOSPEL PROJECT? ISN’T THIS A LITTLE EXTREME

Let’s be honest. If those questions haven’t popped into your mind yet, just wait. They will. After all, six years and more is quite the commitment. Who can argue with that statement? Let’s be honest here. It is quite the commitment to make and who knows what’s going to happen tomorrow, let alone a year from now. But, six or more years?
However, you think about a little more and realize it would be a good aim. Maybe this is a little lofty, but you’re willing to give it your best shot. Right? Or, at least, you hope so.
More than six years is quite the commitment. Yes.
Is it extreme? Really? Is being in the Word of God extreme? Ever? If we answer yes to this question, then haven’t we missed the entire point of the Word of God?
The kind of questions of interest and extremism has only one source: Sin. Which has ties to the enemy, to our fleshy nature, and to self-centeredness.

WOULDN’T STUDYING ONE BOOK OF THE BIBLE FOR MORE THAN A YEAR GET BORING?

Well… I know of people who will avoid this project thoroughly, and will even run from it because of this fear. They are the same people who have busy, busy, busy lives who don’t have time to breathe, let alone take time to really read, study, apply, and remember the Word of God. (Boy, I’ve been there. Still am right now in some ways.)
Isn’t this fear of boredom understandable? I know I sure think so. Nevertheless, what we need to understand is this: We are talking the living, unchangeable, all-powerful, all-knowing Word of God.
We are hardly talking about running, eating, hobbies, work, play, entertainment, gaming, etc. you fill in the blank. Those are all earthly activities that satisfy a temporary whim. They are shallow and short-lived. Versus the eternal Word of God that brings us to eternity and to God. That alone means it will not be boring.
And, if you ever feel bored, I would suggest doing this devotional bible study journaling memoir in different ways, at different times, in different places. Spice it up and don’t let your spiritual life of completing this project ever allow you to think for a second you’re bored. If that happens, remember who that’s coming from—it isn’t coming from God.
Remember to spice it up and add variety. That will help.
Remember this is the Word of God. That should help.
But, if all else fails, read and prayer journal Psalm 119 until you can claim each verse as your own. (I’m not kidding.) Psalm 119 will teach you the passion to seek and live the Word of God in our lives.

THE EASY WAY

Let’s be honest again. We want the easy way. We don’t want to commit. We don’t want to spend too much time on the stuff we haven’t made a priority in our lives. We are lazy, self-absorbed and we forget to live for eternity, not for today. While we are to give our every today our intentional effort and focus, we are to remember why we have today. It’s to prepare for tomorrow in eternity.
We want easy. It doesn’t take work.
We want easy. It takes less time (or so we think).
We want easy, for everybody’s doing it.
We want easy, for we don’t have the self-control, discipline, and commitment.
We want easy, for we are lazy.
We want easy, not complicated.
We want easy because we’re busy and just don’t have the time for anything else.
But, where in the Bible does it say we should pursue any of these things?
Seriously. Answer that question in your prayer journal. List every verse you can think of or find in the Bible. If you can’t think of any, look things up in a concordance or use the search field on any Bible site. Look up “EASY.” I’m not kidding. Do that, please.
Then, look up all the verses you find. Do not read ahead until you do. Prayer journal about what you learned.
Now, look at least two more versions or translations—and do the same. Prayer journal about what you learn.

ANSWER TO EASY AND THE BIBLE

You will not find anything in the Bible that says easy is good. EXCEPT—when it applies to living the way of Jesus Christ and the Bible (see Proverbs 19:23; Matthew 11:30). As a matter of fact, look at these passages:

Matthew 7:13-14 / Expanded Bible (EXB)

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. [L Because] The gate is wide and the road is ·wide [broad; spacious; or easy]that leads to ·hell [L destruction; ruin], and many people enter through that gate. 14 But the gate is small and the road is ·narrow [or difficult; hard] that leads to true life. ·Only a few people [And there are few who] find that road.
-- EXB: Scripture taken from The Expanded Bible. Copyright © 2011 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Luke 13:23-24 / New Living Translation (NLT)

23 Someone asked him, “Lord, will only a few be saved?”
He replied, 24 “Work hard to enter the narrow door to God’s Kingdom, for many will try to enter but will fail.
-- NLT: Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

PRAYER JOURNAL ABOUT EACH OF THESE THINGS ABOUT THOSE TWO PASSAGES:

What jumped out at you? What did you learn? What can you apply to your life? What did you say to God? What did God say to you? What did you learn about Jesus, if anything? How can this passage deepen your knowledge of Jesus Christ? How can this help you live a life of Jesus?

JOURNALING MEMOIR

The idea of making a six-year commitment is a little… Too much. It’s: Intimidating, overwhelming, unfathomable, scary… Exciting, peace-bringing, contentment stirring, and pleasing. It’s practically every emotion combined into one body, mind, and heart at once and is a great deal to try to grasp.
Panic starts to set in and I realize how the scope of the “6+ Year Four Gospel Project” is so far beyond me it’s unreal.
God? Are you really talking to me? I’m hardly qualified for this project—never mind how massive it is. This is me we’re talking about here. Then, in the next breath, I think, “He will do it, not me. I just need to cooperate.” But, God… Are you sure? Okay, You do this—because I know I can’t.
Let’s be honest. I’ve been trying to write for the last ten years and haven’t been able to stick with one writing project, or Bible study project that I write about, for more than six months, never mind a year—and surely, never mind multiple years. Needless to say, I am apprehensive at best. (Look around at this blog and see how many times I’ve changed my mind about a project as an example.)
And, do I need to mention how I can be the busy, busy, busy gal at times?
My husband, B, does ministry work of sorts and I do work by his side from time to time. I help him with marriage counseling and hospital visits. Friday night, we finally rolled into bed around midnight, after B’s full day. I keep his same schedule and adjust it daily, and more often than not, throughout the day, right along with him. When he gets up, I get up. When he goes to bed, I go to bed. I want us to be on the same schedule. (We don’t have a kiddo yet, so it’s easier.)
Last night… No. This morning, we rolled into bed around two in the morning because we had a hospital visit. So, I’m tired at best. I’m also run-down and need some time off, never mind time to breathe.
I say all of this, not to complain, but I know what it means to be busy. Boy, do I know. This is the type of busyness I do not want to avoid, though. Being there for people when they need it is always worthwhile. I wouldn’t be anywhere else. They are more than worth every bit of it.
Needless to say, I can think of a billion excuses why this 6+ Year Four Gospel Project will never work—for me or anyone else. No. Actually, that isn’t entirely true. I can come up with a quadrillion or more. How about you? I’m sure you can, too.
Here’s a question, my friend and fellow traveler along this journey of faith of living a life of Jesus: Why come up with excuses? We should just stop—and be honest with ourselves. We will ALWAYS be busy. We will ALWAYS have something get in the way. If we wait for the convenient time, we’ll never find one. If we wait to do it ‘til it feels right, it never will. If we wait to do it until… Fill in the blank… We will never do it.
So, let’s not go there.
Let’s just do it.
Shall we?
Before we get to that point, though, let’s look at the anatomy of doubt.

JOURNALING MEMOIR: IT'S ABOVE ME AND IS BEYOND ME

Just thinking about the scope of the "Six+ Year Four Gospel Project" makes my stomach sink, my nerves to act up, doubt starts to creep in, and I know this is something I cannot do. Really. I am experiencing these sensations right now, did earlier when I thought about it, and I sense I will in the future as well. This project is so far above and beyond me. I am silly 'ol me. There is nothing special about me. I am a sinner and deserve death, but have been given grace and eternal life.
I can't do this. It will take me writing about forty devotional Bible study and journaling memoir books. Forty. Not one or two, or even three. Not ten or twenty. Forty. Gulp. How intimidating.
This is my human side. My worldly, freshly, carnal side. However, I need to remember where fear is, there is enslavement. It is not of God, so it is something I shouldn't draw my focus.

Romans 8:14-16 / GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

14 Certainly, all who are guided by God’s Spirit are God’s children. 15 You haven’t received the spirit of slaves that leads you into fear again. Instead, you have received the spirit of God’s adopted children by which we call out, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
-- GW: Scripture is taken from GOD’S WORD®, © 1995 God’s Word to the Nations. Used by permission of Baker Publishing Group.

So, no fear. I should not choose it or allow it. Rather, I will choose to trust the Lord and in His Word.
What does this mean, then?
One day at a time is how I will approach this different mindset. I won't even think of how much of a commitment this Six+ Year Four Gospel Project will require. Nor will I think of finishing this one book. I will focus on God and the Word in the Book of Luke on this day. This day is God's. Not mine. Tomorrow is His as well. One day at a time.
How about you?
I'm still nervous, but I do my best to ignore it and press forward to today, the Lord's Day.

DETERMINING TODAY NOT TO TAKE THE EASY PATH

How many people do you know of who have made the commitment to read and study the Four Gospels day in and day out, 24/7/365 for six+ years? Answer this in your prayer journal. List every person you know of who has. Contact them and verify. Then, ask them about their journey and what they experienced.
However, I guarantee most of us will not find on person who can make this claim—unless we know a New Testament scholar.
So, why would I even ask this exercise of you? It’s because I want to make a point. Everything I ask you to do or think about in this book, by the way is for the same reason. Everything I say is to make a point. It’s been thought out and I am saying it intentionally and purpose. Every word, even, means something. I am not lackadaisical with my words or with what I ask of you in this book. This exercise was and is no different.
I guarantee most of us cannot think of one individual who has done this (again—unless they are a New Testament scholar). Not one. So, what does this mean of us?
Let’s be the first—and see how many others we can get to join us. Let’s start our own community—who refuses to take the easy way.

24/7/365 DEVOTIONAL BIBLE STUDY AND JOURNALING MEMOIR

If you take this mentality, it actually makes doing the next six years easier. Word on this book, and reading the Word, ten minutes (plus or minus), here and there, at several times throughout your day. Some days, you might only be able to do this two to four times, because you have a truly busy day in which you live your priorities (and not lived on a whim and neglected your priorities). Other days, you might be able to do ten or more ten-minute intervals.
Also, at first, three ten-minute intervals might be extreme. You just might not be able to do more time than this. However, every week, add a ten-minute interval until you can do a total of one hour, then two hours, then three or more hours each day.
How do you do this? How can you do this when you are so busy? Adding ten-minutes every week is easier than you think. Particularly because you will add it to your schedule. You’ll start to realize the stuff you can get rid of in your life so you can spend more of your time with God, not running from or avoiding or ignoring.
If you do several ten-minute intervals with the Lord and His Word, with this study, throughout your day, it’s far easier to make a 24/7/36 commitment. You’ll naturally be moving in that direction when you add another ten-minute interval to be with God each week.
TV, gaming, social media, internet browsing, reading mainstream fiction and non-fiction will start to lost their appeal as you seek god more and less of this world. After all, you’ll make the commitment to be with God and His Word, not with the world.

LET’S BE HONEST: MAKING THE COMMITMENT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS

Now, let’s be even more honest.
Shouldn’t we have the commitment for the rest of our days to turn to the Word of God, the Holy Bible, in such a reverent, daily manner? Shouldn’t we be daily thoroughly reading, studying, learning, applying, and remembering the Scripture? And, shouldn’t we be doing it all day and night long?
Shouldn’t we?
Let’s do this.
We’re in this together. We refuse to take the easy way. We refuse to neglect God and His Word another second. We acknowledge something will always try to keep us from doing what is right. We will make the commitment to this book and to the Six+ Year Four Gospel Project anyway.

We forget to live for eternity, not for today. We will change this through this study.

No comments:

Post a Comment