Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Genre Change



I have always loved adventure stories... Let alone myth, conspiracy theories, secret organizations, treasure hunting, etc. The myths and legends that I love to learn about are: King Arthur, Camelot, Avalon, Merlin, Atlantis, the Knights Templar, the Magi, the Masons, the Illuminati, the Holy Grail, the Ark of the Covenant, Noah's Ark, the Library of Alexandria, etc. Never mind: Indiana Jones, the Mummy, National Treasure, etc.

What about the real truths of history? The stuff that may or may not have been recorded? And what really happened? And what could have happened?

And, what about family secrets? 

And, what about spies?!? I love them! 

I have recently traced my family back to NERO. The worst persecutor of Christians--ever. He is a direct ancestor of mine. How's that for a skeleton in the closet? That's one side of the family. The other has Charlemagne and other bishops and people of faith. So, the enemies in this series will be my own family. And so will the good guys! (Just a little foreshadowing.)

And, just as books in the 80's and 90's had the Russians as the enemy. Mine will be the fanatical jihadists/terrorists.

I decided the only thing to do was to try my hand at Thriller Historical Fiction. I think this might be a genre I made up, but I am not sure. I know Steve Berry and Dan brown can fit here. The only difference is I will use the mysteries that could surround my family to support Jesus Christ and the Holy Bible. 

Yes. I have read Dan Brown and Steve Berry. I LOVE these authors. And, I am a Christian. Did their books make me question my faith? No. Did I think them heresy? No. They are fiction. As a matter of fact, their books made my faith even more solid because I can see how people can be imaginative, but I know the truth--and I know that I know that I know. (I also read JK Rowling and watch TV shows.) 

BOTTOM-LINE
I want to write a Christian-based, solidly based on the absolute truth of Scripture, treasure hunt, secret organization, spy adventure novel--with historical fiction as the backdrop where answers are found and where life back then is made alive today. It will be a series very loosely based on my family--with a whole lot of what-if questions asked to make it exciting and an adventure.

(Image Credit: Microsoft Images Online.) 

Stacy Duplease
Thriller Historical Fiction Writer
Roanoke 1584-1590: The Family Treez of the USA Series, Book 1
dba Remembering Your Present, LLC & Family Treez USA

No comments:

Post a Comment