Thursday, August 9, 2012

Would you believe?



A year ago, my husband and I moved to Virginia. We live in the Hampton/Newport News area. We are within a half hour's drive to Jamestown, Yorktown, or Williamsburg (aka the Historical Triangle).
Would you believe that up until a year ago, history was fascinating to me, but I was terrible with my knowledge of it? In fact, history was my weakest subject in school. For instance, I thought the first permanent English settlement was at Plymouth, Massachusetts. Now I know the error of my education. Jamestown is the correct answer, if you wanted to know.
Then again, I come from an era, in my schools at least, we studied the explorers every year. And I mean every year. We never made it to the 20th Century, so I could not see how the events of the past were linked with what happened today--and the implications from the past to today are gigantic and mighty. But, school never taught me this. My father did, however. (Thank God for him. Everything I know about history is because of him.)
I also did not read history books because I found them boring. Would you believe?
Sure, I got into historical fiction. But, that could hardly be counted as history, could it? (Hah! I see the error in my thinking now.)
I fell in the love with the history of Virginia, needless to say. Wow, that changed the moment we got to Virginia and the historical sites were able to win my love and passion, like a lover, in seconds. It was love at first sight.
I will visit Virginia for the rest of my life before I visit Washington D. C. The politicians might tell you the importance of the city. Sure, there are monuments and museums which are critical to the history and recognition of our great nation. I will not dispute that. Instead, I will visit D.C. Every 10 or 15 years. Virginia, however, I see visiting every 5. (We do not know if my husband's work will keep us here another year or two. But, we realize we have to plan for it only be one more just in case.) Virginia is where the United States of America was really founded.
Now, here is the best part. Would you believe that I had NO idea about my family tree, genealogy, or lineage until about two months ago? This knowledge has only added to my love affair with this part of the country and in Virginia.
So, how is all of that for a confession?

(Photo by Stacy Duplease.)
Stacy Duplease
Geneaologist and Historical Fiction Writer
dba Remembering Your Present, LLC & Family Treez Etc
Family Treez Blog and Website: http://familytreezetc.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment