Tuesday, December 22, 2015

S.O.A.P. Bible Study of Psalm 141



Scripture:
Here are what I think the key verses are:
Psalm 141:1-4 New Living Translation (NLT)
A psalm of David.
1 O Lord, I am calling to you. Please hurry!
    Listen when I cry to you for help!
2 Accept my prayer as incense offered to you,
    and my upraised hands as an evening offering.
3 Take control of what I say, O Lord,
    and guard my lips.
4 Don’t let me drift toward evil
    or take part in acts of wickedness.
Don’t let me share in the delicacies
    of those who do wrong.
-- New Living Translation (NLT). Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright© 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Here is another translation or version:
Psalm 141:1-4 Expanded Bible (EXB)
A psalm of David.
1 Lord, I ·call [pray] to you. Come quickly to me.
    ·Listen to me [L Give ear to my voice] when I ·call [pray] to you.
2 Let my prayer be like incense placed before you [Ex. 30:7–8; Rev. 5:8],
    and ·my praise [L the lifting of my hands] like the evening sacrifice.
3 Lord, ·help me control my tongue [L set a guard on my mouth];
    ·help me be careful about what I say [L keep watch on the door of my mouth; Prov. 13:3; 21:23; James 3:1–12].
4 ·Take away my desire to do evil [L Don’t incline my heart to an evil matter]
    or to join others in doing wrong.
Don’t let me eat tasty food
    with those who do evil.
-- Expanded Bible (EXB). The Expanded Bible, Copyright © 2011 Thomas Nelson Inc. All rights reserved.
For me, the key verse is:
Psalm 141:3 New Living Translation (NLT)
3 Take control of what I say, O Lord,
    and guard my lips.
-- New Living Translation (NLT). Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright© 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Psalm 141:3 Expanded Bible (EXB)
3 Lord, ·help me control my tongue [L set a guard on my mouth];
    ·help me be careful about what I say [L keep watch on the door of my mouth; Prov. 13:3; 21:23; James 3:1–12].
-- Expanded Bible (EXB). The Expanded Bible, Copyright © 2011 Thomas Nelson Inc. All rights reserved.
Psalm 141:3 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
3 Lord, set up a guard for my mouth;
keep watch at the door of my lips.
-- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.
Psalm 141:3 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
3 Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth;
Keep watch over the door of my lips.
-- New American Standard Bible (NASB). Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation.
Observations:
Psalm 141:3 New Living Translation (NLT)
3 Take control of what I say, O Lord,
    and guard my lips.
I sure need this prayer. Especially today. It was another one of those everything that could possible go wrong, did, mornings. Hence, out of frustration, I flapped my mouth--internally and externally.
You know, Lord, it just hit me. Just because I think it, does it make it any.less bad? A bad thought is not as bad as a bad word. Both are ugly, are sinful, and get my eye and heart off of You.
And, as I complain, vent, gripe, it only leaves me feeling ugly and tarnished. Never mind who I vent to.
How does this help?
The personalized prayer of Psalm 141:3 would have made far more sense.
Application:
Allow God to speak through me.
Prayer:
Lord, help me to bite my tongue so You can speak through me instead. Your words, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment