Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Matthew 7:1 S.O.A.P. Bible Reading and Bible Study


Matthew 7:1 on Tuesday, December 15, 2015

AN INTRODUCTION TO MATTHEW 7: A THOROUGH S.O.A.P. BIBLE STUDY

I have decided to do an extensive study of Matthew 7 and want to memorize the chapter as well. Needless to say, I am going to slow down and take it all in as I study word by word, verse by verse, topic by topic.

Matthew 7 is a chapter that talks about how to live a life of faith. Therefore, I know I will get a great deal out of it and I want to meditate on it day and night.

I am not sure if I will study a verse per day or if it will take several days. We shall see.

Let's savor the Word of God, the Bible.

And, let's get as much out of it as possible. So, let's begin.

SCRIPTURE

Matthew 7:1 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Do Not Judge
7 “Do not judge, so that you won’t be judged.(A)
Cross references:
7:1-5 : Mk 4:24-25; Lk 6:37-42
-- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.

Ouch. This is an in-your-face verse. It is a 2 x 4 to the side of the head. It's meant to capture the attention.

And, it is the very first verse of this chapter. I am not sure if I should run or continue reading at first. However, logic prevails. This is the Holy Bible and is the Word of God. I will continue reading, studying, meditating/pondering/contemplating, and applying... even if it makes me squirm and feel uncomfortable.

I know I judge and condemn. Even if I do not mean to be harsh or judging, the fact is that is precisely what I am doing. My words can be the most condemning, never mind my tone.

Just last night, I was critical and gave my husband biting words. I did it out of concern, and out of a good heart, but does that make me any less judging? Did my words, not meant to be critical or not, make him feel any better? Did my words life him up or tear him down? Can I take them back? My words judged, no matter if they were meant out of concern. The concern does not matter. My words matter.

My mouth has always gotten me into trouble.

Do not judge. With my words or in my mind. Or with a tone I use. Or with facial expressions. Period.

Do not judge. It simply doesn't get any clearer than that.

If I have time to be judgmental, whether I realize it or not, then I am not praying and I am certainly not thanking God or mediating on the Word day and night. If I were praying, thanking, meditating, (morning, noon, night, and without ceasing) then I would not have time to be judgmental.

Also, if I am judgmental, it is critical for me to turn around, look in the mirror, and evaluate where and how I am in my walk with God. How is my faith?

Ouch. Yep. This is convicting. Oh, how easy it would be to stop here.

Prayer of application: Lord, help my words, tone, facial expressions, and thoughts not to be judgmental in any way. Help me to be praying, thanking, in the Word without ceasing so I have no time to be judgmental.

Looking at the cross-references listed above. Here is the link:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%204:24-Mark%204:25,%20Luke%206:37-Luke%206:42&version=HCSB

I am reading them now and see how they are quite similar to Matthew 7:1-6.

I want to look at more cross-references as well. Here is a link for several more:

http://tsk-online.com//TSK/40/7/1

Here is one of the cross-references:

Romans 2:1-2 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
God’s Righteous Judgment
2 Therefore, any one of you who judges is without excuse. For when you judge another, you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the same things. 2 We know that God’s judgment on those who do such things is based on the truth.
-- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.

Look in the mirror. Pray, give thanks, be in the Word instead.

I have no room to judge when I am the sinner that I am! I deserve death, for goodness sake.

Romans 3:23 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
-- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.

Romans 6:23 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
-- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.

I will study more of this verse tomorrow. There is a lot to take in and contemplate here in Matthew 7:1. I want to meditate on it today and memorize it as well.

OBSERVATION

See the above.

APPLICATION

See the above.

PRAYER

See the above.

Lord, help me not to judge and to focus on You instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment