Monday, October 19, 2015

My Personal Journaling and a Journaling Prompt (#2)



JOURNALING IS WHO I AM, WHAT I DO, AND IS A WAY OF LIFE FOR ME
I became a journal keeper at the ripe old age of eight and haven't stopped since. Sure, there might be seasons in the past that I skipped journaling in the past, but I haven't skipped one week of journaling in over seven years. In the last sixteen years, I may have missed up to ten days of journaling, but no more. For the last seven years, I have journaled at least five days per week.
I say none of this to brag, but to let you know how serious I am about journaling and how it is my passion. Actually, journaling is more than that to me and it is far deeper. Journaling is a way of life. Ask me who I am and what I do and I will say: I am a full-time writer, where I journal and count my blessings.
The truth is, I have no idea how to live life without journaling. It is so meaningful to me. It has helped me live a far better, deeper, more grateful life where I do my best to take no one and nothing for granted as I live as purposefully and intentionally as possible.

STARTING OVER
You can find all of my previous writings about journaling {journaling introduction, how-to, tips, and prompts, along with my personal journaling} here at this blog:
http://rypstories.blogspot.com/
That blog will give you a great deal of information and insight about journaling.
However, I will start over here in this blog.
I am in a very different place in my life and want to start afresh.

HOUSEKEEPING
Every now and then, I will share a section I call "housekeeping." It's just a note of explanation of how to get the most out of this blog, an explanation, and/or what to expect. The next two sections are housekeeping sections.

"A JOURNALING ODYSSEY HANDBOOK: A JOURNALING HOW-TO OF JOURNALING TIPS AND PROMPTS"
With that being said, I will take all of the information from my old blog, and all of the new information from this blog on how to journal and share tips and prompts in a book I will compile from both starting at the beginning of the year. I will compile a handbook under that title and publish it in March or April 2016. Then, I will publish an additional supplement every six months. This will be an everything you ever wanted to know about journaling compilation at handbook. Also, in March or April of every year thereafter, I will publish several of these books (the handbook us the supplements) in one volume or book. This will also include how to write your memoir, autobiography, and life story. So, if you want to be inspired to capture your life on the page, stay tuned and keep reading this blog.

MY MEMOIRS AND SPECIFIC TOPICS
I will also publish once a year or more my personal stories (my memoir and life story) and also a book or more of specific topics (for instance: how to grieve the loss of your pet).
Phew. There. The housekeeping sections are done for now.

NANOWRIMO
Every November is a contest or competition where people all around the world write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days. It's called National Novel Writing Month, but you can do the same and write a work of nonfiction, which is what I am doing.
My goal is to write 14,000 words per week between now and the end of November. Therefore, my goal is to journal 84,000 words for this competition, which I will start today.

JOURNALING PROMPT: MIND WANDERING, S.O.C., AND STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS JOURNALING
Mind Wandering Journaling is what I recommend the most to do with your journaling. As a matter of fact, I recommend doing this every day and every time you sit down to journal. Begin with this prompt each time.
WHAT TO DO: Write whatever comes to mind in your journal. Spend about ten minutes jotting down anything you think of. You may want to do this in list form at first.
Then from there see if there is anything you want to journal more about and go deeper.
Then, do precisely that. Keep re-reading what you wrote and expand upon any of the things you wrote as you have an additional thought about what you journal.
Review this throughout your day and keep expanding on your thoughts and going deeper and more expansive with each.
As new thoughts, memories, and ideas come to mind, add them as well.
Keep writing more and more about one to three items you shared.
EXPLANATION: This is called S.O.C. Writing or Stream of Consciousness Writing. I also call if Mind Wandering Journaling. This is how to get everything, everyone, every experience, every idea, every thought, every question, every emotion, and lesson learned captured on the page.
A PERSONAL NOTE ABOUT MIND WANDERING JOURNALING: I have personally found this the best way for me to capture everything on the page with just a sentence at first. Then, I expand one to three of those ideas into a paragraph. Then, I expand those into a page or more. Then, just add more thoughts as they come to mind and start this all over again. I, then, once a week look at each day's Mind Wandering and expand on it more and go deeper. Then, I do this once a month, once every three months, and once a year for a decade. Then, once a decade.
Also, if I don't know what to journal, and am blank, I review previous Mind Wanderings.
No journaling prompt brings me more material to capture on the page than this one.
This is the diamond in the rough and is the most important journaling I do.

{Written October 19, 2015, Monday morning}

2 comments:

  1. You totally blow me away. I often wonder how you come up with these ideas. Thank You Jesus for giving my daughter the ability to write! You are an amazing, talented woman!

    ReplyDelete