Sunday, October 11, 2015

Critter Induced Make-You-Worried Moments

Since I last wrote in this journal, and just in the last week, we've dealt with some moments that would make us concerned on a normal day. However, with just having to put Kara to sleep, we are extra sensitive... and when I say we, I really mean me...



First, Sinan found me in my study sitting at my table journaling and he gave a huge meow. I jumped. Then, I started to chuckle as my gaze went to the floor and toward the Orange Maine Coon cat.
Sinan had his eyes held shut and he tried to open them, but was squinty instead. My chuckle stopped. "Are you okay?"
He tried to open his eyes again. He couldn't.
My heart started to pound. "What did you get into?" I asked him as I reached for a tissue I dunked in my glass of water and wiped his eyes. He didn't fight me at all, which was the next sign and told me he was feeling miserable. Usually he would try to pull away and remind me how he doesn't like humans grooming him in any way.
"Does that help?"
He was able to open his eyes a little for a moment and then did the squinting thing once again.
My heart stopped for when raced as I thought about what you did for humans under these circumstances. You wash your/their eyes in an eye cup or in any cup. How could you do that with a cat? Or a baby? I wondered and that's had me thinking.
I grabbed another tissue, drenched it with water, and wiped his eyes again. Then, I threw away the tissue and got a new one I repeated this several times. He seemed better when I finished up my wiping/washing and he headed toward our bedroom. I followed him and watched him for a few and then headed back to my study. A little while again, he found me again and meowed and we repeated the process, but with cotton balls rather than tissue.
Was he okay?
I tested my husband, a little freaked out, and we put it together that I had the laundry room door open and was in the process of doing laundry. We figured out the lent got to him when he walked in the room, and he had an allergic reaction. He was better, but I wiped his eyes a few more times, and so did my husband, before we went to bed and when we woke up the next morning, he acted fine. {Thank the Lord. Phew.}
Now, for incident number two. My mom's cat disappeared for about five hours and she let me know. Her cat did the disappear in plain sight thing and wondered why my mom was so concerned. Sigh. {Cats! Eye roll, head shake.}
Then, our almost 16 year old Beagle, Zack, has had a cough because of allergies since June. It's been getting progressively worse and led to five nights in a row of  our interrupted sleep. Then, two nights ago, he coughed for about an hour straight and had us both concerned. We kept wondering if we needed to call pet urgent care, take him to CSU, or what. Not again with breathing issues. That's what led us to putting Kara to sleep. Now, it was Zack!
He calmed down, though, and a couple of hours later when the vet clinic opened, we called and got him in for an urgent care appointment. It ended up being allergies and now the three of us are on the same allergy medicine.
Three instances where critters brought concern, but it all turned out alright, thank the Lord. Phew. What blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment