Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Training for a Half Marathon (and Losing Weight)





While this is my writing blog, I also want to include the stuff of life on this blog. We are all doing this thing called life and I would love to hear your story. Feel free to add a comment at the end of any blog post or send me an email. I would love to hear from you.

I write fiction, but I also journal and write memoir. This is one of those journaling posts.

Just over a year ago, I did the unthinkable. I took up running. I NEVER ran before. And, when I say never, I mean it.

Well, that isn't entirely true. I would run from the car to the store if it rain cats and dogs, but that's the only exception. I exercised. I did power-walking. Five miles worth, mind you. I also did some yoga and Pilates. But, running. No.

And, not just no. But, heck no! No way. Running just wasn't for me.

Why did I take it up? I wanted to get in the best shape I've ever been in. And, I quickly discovered how I loved it. Loved it. No joke. It's freeing. It makes me feel so good and is wonderful to get rid of stress, clear the head, work on Scripture memory, and dream. Never mind how much it helps arthritis. It makes me feel better than I've felt in years. (Who would've thought?)

Also, I've always been the type who has to watch my weight. Every bite I put in my mouth, I have to count or I gain weight--and I am hypoglycemic (low blood sugar), so I literally do have to watch everything I eat. Running helps with my weight and my hypo.

Then, life happened. I had two surgeries, hubby had one, life got busy, blah, blah, blah. We still worked out, but not with sheer determination. So, I gained weight.

Then, we started a new running program, which felt great. Now, I am gaining weight, on top of my already heavier self (thanks to muscle growth--muscle weighs more than fat--Ugh!). I know it will come off. I am counting my calories. So, it's just a matter of time before the weight starts coming off.

But, at any rate, we have been consistently running a 5k three days a week and a 10k one day a week.

So, this led to the: "Why not train for a half marathon--and in time a marathon--even if it's just on the treadmill at home?" (Lord, help us!) So, that's what we're doing.

Sunday, I ran a 10k. It was my long-run day. Today I need to run 4 miles.

Why do I share this with you?:
1 If I can do this, anyone can. No joke.
2 To help inspire you to do the same--even if it feels like a half marathon training in making a dream of yours come true.
3 To show you how to be an overcomer.
4 To hold myself accountable.
5 To be real with you and tell you how this is a little nerve-wracking for me.
6 To see if anyone else runs. I would LOVE to hear from you.
7 There are many comparisons of running a race and living a live of faith.
8 Training is goal-setting and goal-keeping.
9 Training to run a half marathon and writing a novel have many comparisons as well.

We found a 20-week training plan. I think we're going to start with week 3, though, since we've already got weeks one and two down pat, which is running miles of 3, 3, 3, 4 each week. This week, week three, is: 4, 4, 3, 5--with a day off between each except Saturday and Sunday.





(Image below credit: Microsoft images online 2009-2014.)

No comments:

Post a Comment