Monday, November 23, 2015

Prayer, Thanks, and Terror on Monday (Cont.)


Written: November 23, 2015, Monday
///
Before I begin, it is time for a cappuccino. Please pardon me, my prayer journal. Lord, I will pray as I go get the delightful drink. (1102 a.m.)
///
Thank you for twenty-one thousand twenty-three words so far out of fifty thousand for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), in which I am writing a book on prayer, thanks, and terror. 
///
My prayer: Lord, teach me how to pray about terror and teach me how to always give thanks. I realize that it would be impossible to ever perfect either one, but I can continually strive to learn a better way. Lord, please teach me how to best pray for terror and always give You thanks. The truth is, I cannot do either without Your help and assistance. 
///
Inspirational article title: "The One Simple Trick to Help You Notice God in the Every Day"
/// 
I am grateful for...
Caramel cappuccino
How first the cat had to come check out out what I did as I took a bath. Then, the beagle decided to join him. They both opened the bathroom door wide open and let out all of the hot air. Sigh. I pretend to complain. The truth is, I would not have it any other way. 
Cat and beagle are hanging out with me again as I sit in my study and start to count my blessings once again. 
Losing two pounds over the weekend. Two of many, many, many more to go. 
The new bluejeans we bought over the weekend since I had a pair split open on my in the seat last week since I have worn several pairs so much. They are all at that stage, where each of the four remaining pairs could tear any day, any moment now. (Sigh.) I only bought three new pairs, with the hopes I will lose weight. (Weight has always been a struggle for me--ever since I was twelve or so.)
Finding a birdbath warmer that helps prevent the water from freezing. It should arrive in the mail later today. The birds will sure appreciate it. 
How my hair is slowly but surely growing out from a very short pixie. It's far from being anywhere near likable, but it is what it is. Hopefully when I go to get my hair trimmed the week of December Eleventh, my stylist will be able to give it some style. My hair just needs to grow a great deal more between now and then. 
I am looking forward to setting up our Christmas trees and other Christmas decor after Thanksgiving. 
That B and I found a really good pizza joint over the weekend. B loves pizza, so it's a pleasure to find something that pleases him. It's a little whole in the wall, which is our favorite kind of establishment. 
For veterinarians.
Watching Zack beagle sleep. Warms my heart. Thank God for such a major blessing. I still cannot believe, Lord, how he is almost sixteen years old. 
Our washing machine and dryer.
///
Inspirational article title: "Sunday Scripture"
It's about giving thanks.
///
Inspirational article title: "6 Steps to Find More Gratitude in Your Life"
///
Inspirational article title: "How Gratitude Can Change Your Life"
///
I am thankful, Lord for...
The rumble of a purring cat.
How Sinan cat came to bed several times last night to snuggle. 
///
Inspirational article title: "What does the Bible say about thankfulness/gratitude?"
///
Inspirational article title: "A Life of Gratitude"
///
I am thankful for yesterday when I cooked our white chili. Both Zack dog and Sinan cat came into the kitchen and begged. They thought it smelled good. It's too bad dogs and cats shouldn't have chili because of the spice. At least their noses liked what they smelled. 
///
Inspirational article title: "Living a Life of Gratitude: It’s easy to get caught up in the daily grind and overlook God's glorious gifts."
///
Inspirational article title: "How You Can Live a Life of Thanksgiving all Year Long"
///
Why have I tried to live a life of giving thanks, a life of gratitude, since November 06, 2013:
The truth is living a life of thanksgiving grew out of desperation. My husband and I just went through a nightmare of life circumstance. It was a storm that tore us to shreds on the inside. Just thinking about this time and I tense. And, it's been over two years now. 
I reached the point where it was either give thanks--or fall apart. There was no middle ground in this terrible, trying, heartbreaking situation. The situation was so poignant and life-changing. Sink or swim. 
I have always been someone who tries to live a life of excellence. I always try to give it my best. I push myself, needless to say. Sometimes too hard. 
Therefore, when God presented this passage to me from the Bible, His Word, I decided to seek living a life of excellence in giving thanks:
1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 Expanded Bible (EXB)
17 Pray ·continually [without ceasing], 18 and give thanks ·whatever happens [in all circumstances; in everything]. That is ·what God wants [God’s will] for you in Christ Jesus.
-- Expanded Bible (EXB). The Expanded Bible, Copyright © 2011 Thomas Nelson Inc. All rights reserved.
I realize I have quoted this before, but this passage of Scripture becomes a way of life and a way to live. In fact, 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 presents the best way to live. 
Here's another version of the Bible of this passage:
1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 New Living Translation (NLT)
17 Never stop praying. 18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
-- New Living Translation (NLT). Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright© 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
This passage became the bane of my existence and why I existed at once. 
How on earth could I give thanks in this nightmare? (I thought in November 2006.) How is this even possible? How can I give thank when I am so hurt? So sad? So deflated, so frustrated, so angry, so confused? How could I give thanks for the very thing that was one of the biggest nightmares of my life (literally)? And, how can I give thanks in the very thing that destroyed marriages? How could I? 
How could I offer thanks for infertility? Every day for thirty-nine years, I wanted to have a baby. Every day. There was never a time I didn't want to have one. 
How could I give thanks to this--when B and I were both only children, so our family was already small? How could I give thanks knowing one day I would have no family at all? At least with children, and larger families, the odds are that you will most likely have someone survive past you. 
How could I give thanks where every single place I went, I saw a child--and I could not, would not have one? How could I?
The pursuit of living 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 made me angry and it hurt, on the one hand. However, on the other, I realized it was, frankly, the only lifeline I had. 
IVF didn't work out (two rounds of it). Neither did adoption. Consequently, B and I had to let go. How do you give thanks for this? 
I sit here, over two years later, and I am grateful, oh so grateful, that I tried to give thanks in spite. I really had no choice. I either had to learn how to give thanks or I think I would have curled up into a ball of despair and I do not think I would have ever come out of it. The pain was so deep. 
The truth is giving thanks saved me--and keeps saving me. It is my lifeline. 
Giving thanks in and for all things has changed me and my life entirely. 
The challenges I have gone through since I started to try to life a life of thanks have been quite doable. It's made me a great deal stronger and has given me purpose. Great purpose. Life purpose. I simply cannot emphasize this enough. 
Giving thanks at all times, in and for all things, even in times of storm and challenge, creates joy in my life. Joy is something that isn't dependent on anyone or anything. Joy lasts in spite. Joy is deeper and long-lasting. Counting my blessings, and living a life of gratitude, has taught me how I do not want to live a shallow life of happiness. Happiness is fleeting and short-lived. It depends on different people, things, circumstances. Joy lasts through everything and everyone. 
This is why when I deal with a challenge now, I am to thank God. I know that in the times of storm and challenge, the Lord has always, and will always, bless my socks off. The key is I need to look past myself, past the challenge, and look for the blessings of each and every moment. In which, there are several. 
Yes. It is true. Every moment is full of multiple blessings. Not just one or two. The catch is we have to look for them and count them. 
Ever since I have started to count my blessings in spite, and search for the multiple blessings of every moment, I have learned how beautiful life is and can be. Even in times of storm.
I never would have been able to handle Kara's death (our cat) as well as I did if not for my counting of blessings. The truth is that since I counted my blessings all along (or at least tried to over the last two years), it was far easier to realize that it was because of her I wanted to life a life of thanksgiving and gratitude all along. It would, and will be, the best way for me to honor her and her life. 
That is not to say I still do not cry about Kara no longer being with us. I do. In fact, I got a little weepy earlier thinking of her. But, I realize that thanking You, Lord, is not dependent on anything--other than simply doing that--counting my blessings. 
Counting my blessings means I can get through anything and at any time. 
Blessings are eternal. They are not temporary. The blessings I count today, I can count in one year, five, ten, twenty, and decades from now. They are continual and life on. 
I would much rather live a life of gratitude than ingratitude. Life is so much sweeter because of this.  
///
Lord, thank You for...
Cheese
Cheese crackers
/// 

No comments:

Post a Comment