Tuesday, January 22, 2013

EAVESDROPPING AND DISCOVERY AT JAMESTOWN: A BOOK IDEA: MY PERSONAL JOURNALING


 If two people are talking in a public place, their conversation will be overheard. 

As my husband and I stood at Historic Jamestown at the site of the latest archaeological dig of the cellar, in the actual fort of the 1607 Jamestown, we overheard two men talking about the latest discoveries in the dig. 

What they said staggered me. Big time. It opened my eyes and I was blown away. Astounded. Dumbfounded. Inspired. Shocked. Mortified. Moved. 

It got me thinking.

So, what did I hear? The conversation went something like this:

Man 1: "Did you know how the English records claim that there were no women who came to Jamestown in 1607?"

Man 2: "I do."

1: "Well, we have found several feminine items in this site, which has been dated to the original fort, with items dated to 1607. If there were no women here  those items would not be necessary and would not be found. But, we've found them."

That caught my attention. My head zoomed to the side for me to stare my husband in the eye. I gave him a look saying, DID YOU HEAR THAT? 

Husband's look: YEP. 

My look: CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!" As I wanted to shout.

Husband's look: NOPE. 

My mind started to work in overdrive as millions of thoughts went through my mind. 

2: "Well, that's interesting."

I would have to agree, I thought to myself.

1: "We think they brought over women, like they brought over boys. The boys were used as peace-offerings and as barter for food."

That made me freeze. All my thoughts ceased, other than, Oh, Lord, as I looked up toward the sky in prayer. 

How horrific. Those poor women.

1: "So, of course the English would not keep record of that."

Me: Of course they wouldn't, I thought. The truth is stranger and far more demeaning than fiction. 

1: "This is a brand new theory, just like the baking ovens here in the cellar." He pointed toward the hole in the ground.

I listened a little more until my husband took me by the hand and steered me away.

"I am stunned," I told my husband as we walked to the left of the old church. (Which is still in use today, by the way--and hold the remains of one of my relatives and outside in the graveyard at least one other relative.)

"That's what they call slavery. And that is what we do with sex slaves and trafficking today." He was quick to remind me and that only added another dagger to my heart.

How hideous.

"That means this is brand new information that has never been released. That means it's never been written about." I vocalize to my man.

He nods and squeezes my hand.

"That means I am in trouble."

"How?"

"I made the decision to only write books of non-fiction. Journaling and memoir."

"Pray on it, Stacy. Give it some time. If it keeps coming to your heart, listen to it. You can always do all three--or not. Go where God leads and write what he wants." My fount of wisdom, my God-fearing husband shares with me. I nod and we keep walking as my mind kept circling on this story. Women being given to the Indians as barter and for peace... 

Did they know? 

When did they know/realize the truth?

Were there GIRLS given as well--not just boys and women? 

What do I do?

Do I write the book?

And, do I start to write a second memoir about my learning about my family tree?

What do I do?

Here is where I ask for your input. I am feeling the pull more and more by the hour--not less--to write the book. Do I write it? What do you think? 

~ Stacy Duplease

{NOTE AND COPYRIGHT: Let me state here and now that I came up with this idea on my own. It is now put on the web and can be proven in a court of law that this is/was my idea. (So, please  no one steal this idea as your own. Stacy Duplease of Remembering Your Present, LLC 22 January 2012, 2:04 p.m. The idea of women being used as barter and peace-offerings for the Indians...)}

2 comments:

  1. As your husband said, pray on it. God will tell you what He thinks you should do. Listen...you'll know.

    -S-

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your husband said, pray on it. God will tell you what He thinks you should do. Listen...you'll know.

    -S-

    ReplyDelete